Mandrake8.0 eth0 problem

Post by Andy Walke » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:29:06

Hi, I'm trying to get an NTL cable modem to work with Linux but my lan card
won't load correctly. It is a Linksys 10/100 card V4.0 and it works alright
in Windows, but with a Mandrake8.0 install it detected the card then failed
miserably to set it up. The odd thing is that it managed to configure itself
and create eth0 connection but when I boot up it fails on installing the
module and complains about interrupts. As I'm a bit clueless with Linux does
anyone have any ideas what is wrong and also can you tell me wether I should
have plug and play enabled in the BIOS or not (is Linux plug and play?).
I know the above card works under Linux as I have a spare machine with an
identical card which works fine, but as I'm extremely short on interrupts I
think it might be a irq sharing problem.
Any ideas anyone?

Mandrake8.0 eth0 problem

Post by james tat » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:12:32

> Hi, I'm trying to get an NTL cable modem to work with Linux but my lan card
> won't load correctly. It is a Linksys 10/100 card V4.0 and it works alright
> in Windows, but with a Mandrake8.0 install it detected the card then failed
> miserably to set it up. The odd thing is that it managed to configure itself
> and create eth0 connection but when I boot up it fails on installing the
> module and complains about interrupts. As I'm a bit clueless with Linux does
> anyone have any ideas what is wrong and also can you tell me wether I should
> have plug and play enabled in the BIOS or not (is Linux plug and play?).
> I know the above card works under Linux as I have a spare machine with an
> identical card which works fine, but as I'm extremely short on interrupts I
> think it might be a irq sharing problem.
> Any ideas anyone?

Turn off plug n play in your of your BIOS  of your computer.
It sounds like your problem is IRQ's , sound cards are a big hassle when it
comes to steeling
irq's , pull your sound card if you have one and see if that help's.
do a  cat /proc/pci  and see if you have any conflicts on your pci cards.
 do a cat /proc/interuppts and check for conflicts there.
a lot of times  switching cards to different slots corrects irq's.
most of the latest motherboards allow you to force set irq's to a certain slot.

I have a  Asus pent III motherboard and it allows me to do this.
Your network is setup in the following files,(in RedHat, and  I'm sure that
Mandrake uses the same
setup)
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/modules.conf    is where your nic is called to load the driver module.
example " alias eth0 linksys"
if linksys is the name of the correct driver for your nic. the drivers are
located at, In Redhat.
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/net    check and see what your kernel ver.
is and replace the 2.4.2-2.

LOL Jim Tate

1. Mandrake8.0, DSL, eth0, DHCP problem.

Hi,
I have just installed Mandrake 8.0 on my system, which is a P3-450, 256MB
RAM, DSL connection, which uses DHCP.
I have setup things ok, and can access internet, although I had to
configure network by hand.
I have set the networking service to start at boot time, But it always
fails to start and I get "eth0, delaying startup" or something very
similar. After I login if I become "su" and then do "ifup
eth0" I again get the same "delaying eth0 startup" message. But if I run
the Mandrake Contrll Center, and in the networking area try to connect
from there, without needing to reconfigure anything, my network starts up
just fine.
I want the network to be up and running when I startup my PC, and I have
failed to figure out how to do that. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
thanks,
R.P.

2. BEST BACKUP FOR DISTRIBUTED SYS SUMMARY--PART II

3. Problem telneting to a solaris8 box from mandrake8.1

4. Help with TORiSAN DVD/CDRW Combo DRD-U624

5. Problems with Glib on Mandrake8.0

6. What is scm_recv() ?

7. Mandrake8.0 NVidia kernel build problem

8. D1000 array : minimum number of drives

9. rh7.1: delaying eth0 initialization?? eth0 startup fail?

10. eth0 shuts down with NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out error.

11. "eth0" vs. "eth0:1"

12. Possible? eth0:1 ... eth0:50000

13. What does Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed> mean?