FA311

Post by ascii » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:00:46

Does this card work well under Linux (I have herd that some people have had
problems)? I have used the FA310 and Redhat 7.0 detected it automatically.
Thanks.

FA311

Post by Alan » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> Does this card work well under Linux (I have herd that some people have
had
> problems)? I have used the FA310 and Redhat 7.0 detected it automatically.
> Thanks.

It's worked fine in my experience, just compile the driver that comes with
it
and update your config files to load it on boot up. Just as easy as the
FA310TX.
(I'm using both on Linux with out any problems)

Alan

FA311

Post by Steve Done » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> > Does this card work well under Linux (I have herd that some people have
> had
> > problems)? I have used the FA310 and Redhat 7.0 detected it
automatically.
> > Thanks.

> It's worked fine in my experience, just compile the driver that comes with
> it
> and update your config files to load it on boot up. Just as easy as the
> FA310TX.
> (I'm using both on Linux with out any problems)

> Alan

Not in my experience. I bought a pair of FA311s instead of the FA310 which
are hard to find in stock. I have tried compiling the driver both from the
disk and from the Netgear site. Have yet to get the thing to ping another PC
yet. The damn things are also trouble on Windows 98 and keep losing their
settings. Worst buy I've made for a long time!.

The best result was a fa311.o driver someone had compiled for an earlier
kernel, it seemed to work according to dmesg (but still won't ping
anywhere).

And yes I've tried the drivers on:

http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

Hope you have better luck than me.

Steve

FA311

Post by Peter Bloomfiel » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> > > Does this card work well under Linux (I have herd that some people have
> > had
> > > problems)? I have used the FA310 and Redhat 7.0 detected it
> automatically.
> > > Thanks.

> > It's worked fine in my experience, just compile the driver that comes with
> > it
> > and update your config files to load it on boot up. Just as easy as the
> > FA310TX.
> > (I'm using both on Linux with out any problems)

> > Alan

> Not in my experience. I bought a pair of FA311s instead of the FA310 which
> are hard to find in stock. I have tried compiling the driver both from the
> disk and from the Netgear site. Have yet to get the thing to ping another PC
> yet. The damn things are also trouble on Windows 98 and keep losing their
> settings. Worst buy I've made for a long time!.

> The best result was a fa311.o driver someone had compiled for an earlier
> kernel, it seemed to work according to dmesg (but still won't ping
> anywhere).

> And yes I've tried the drivers on:

> http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

> Hope you have better luck than me.

> Steve

My FA311 works fine under RH6.2/2.2.14.  I'm using Don Becker's natsemi
driver (from scyld), which installed flawlessly--fa311.c from the
NetGear disk also worked, but with some whining from depmod.  YMMV

FA311

Post by son.. » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:08:43

You'll have to compile the fa311.o driver

To do this, view http://www.sonnik.com/fa311/

Quote:> Does this card work well under Linux (I have herd that some people
have had
> problems)? I have used the FA310 and Redhat 7.0 detected it
automatically.
> Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

FA311

Post by Steve Done » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> > > had
> > automatically.

> > > It's worked fine in my experience, just compile the driver that comes
with
> > > it
> > > and update your config files to load it on boot up. Just as easy as
the
> > > FA310TX.
> > > (I'm using both on Linux with out any problems)

> > > Alan

> > Not in my experience. I bought a pair of FA311s instead of the FA310
which
> > are hard to find in stock. I have tried compiling the driver both from
the
> > disk and from the Netgear site. Have yet to get the thing to ping
another PC
> > yet. The damn things are also trouble on Windows 98 and keep losing
their
> > settings. Worst buy I've made for a long time!.

> > The best result was a fa311.o driver someone had compiled for an earlier
> > kernel, it seemed to work according to dmesg (but still won't ping
> > anywhere).

> > And yes I've tried the drivers on:

> > http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

> > Hope you have better luck than me.

> > Steve

> My FA311 works fine under RH6.2/2.2.14.  I'm using Don Becker's natsemi
> driver (from scyld), which installed flawlessly--fa311.c from the
> NetGear disk also worked, but with some whining from depmod.  YMMV

Watch out if you upgrade, I have just ordered 2 new FA310's as they are
supported as standard on RedHat 7 which I have also just purchased.

Steve

FA311

Post by Yurasis Drago » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:58:22

>have
>> > automatically.

>with
>the

>> > Not in my experience. I bought a pair of FA311s instead of the FA310
>which
>> > are hard to find in stock. I have tried compiling the driver both from
>the
>> > disk and from the Netgear site. Have yet to get the thing to ping
>another PC
>> > yet. The damn things are also trouble on Windows 98 and keep losing
>their
>> > settings. Worst buy I've made for a long time!.

>> > The best result was a fa311.o driver someone had compiled for an earlier
>> > kernel, it seemed to work according to dmesg (but still won't ping
>> > anywhere).

>> > And yes I've tried the drivers on:

>> > http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

>> > Hope you have better luck than me.

>> > Steve

>> My FA311 works fine under RH6.2/2.2.14.  I'm using Don Becker's natsemi
>> driver (from scyld), which installed flawlessly--fa311.c from the
>> NetGear disk also worked, but with some whining from depmod.  YMMV

>Watch out if you upgrade, I have just ordered 2 new FA310's as they are
>supported as standard on RedHat 7 which I have also just purchased.

>Steve

I had good success with the FA310 under RH 7 myself.

Is there a problem with adding two of the same cards to one machine.  I have
the FA310 and am trying to add a Linksys EtherFast PCI and am having
problems - interrupt problems I think.

Because I had so much success with the FA310 I'm thinking of swapping out
the Linksys for a second FA310 but don't know if this'll be a problem.

What if I added a FA311 with the FA310?

Any help would be appreciated on this.

1. Network driver question for netgear FA311

How can I 'force' Solaris to use a particular network driver.
I want to use a Netgear FA311 card in a x86 Solaris 8 box. AnswerBook 2
describes this card as a generic 'dnet' driven card.
I think that I have all the right drivers (/kernel/drv/dnet & dnet.conf),
but if I try to add the interface with
'ifconfig dnet0 plumb 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up'
I get a 'bad file number' failure.
What is the file number.?
what might I need to change / add to the dnet.conf file.
What am I doing wrong.?

2. External interface shutdown

3. NetGear FA311 ethernet card and RH7

4. xserver problem

5. RH 7.1 doesn't recognize NetGear FA311 card

6. Cannot Install SCOv3.0

7. A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

8. restarting stopped background processes

9. Problems with Natsemi.c (Netgear FA311) and Alpha?

10. Netgear FA311 Ethernet card

11. Debian - Looking for driver for NetGear FA311

12. PCI FA311 NIC from Netgear

13. Two Netgear FA311 NICs, one crossover cable, and no networking!