A question about DNS!

Post by Jimm » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

 i have got a question ,i am seeking help:
I have setup two WWW server,the domain names are  WWW1.DOMAIN  ,
WWW2.DOMAIN
the HomePage file in both server are the same.
But I want user  to use WWW.DOMAIN to access my server,
if WWW1.DOMAIN is not busy,user will get the page from WWW1.DOMAIN.
If WWW1.DOMAIN is busy,user will connect to WWW2.DOMAIN to fetch the
pages.
How i can configure my DNS ?
Or Where can i configure to do so?
Thx alot!!!

A question about DNS!

Post by L J Bay » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> i have got a question ,i am seeking help:
>I have setup two WWW server,the domain names are  WWW1.DOMAIN  ,
>WWW2.DOMAIN
>the HomePage file in both server are the same.
>But I want user  to use WWW.DOMAIN to access my server,
>if WWW1.DOMAIN is not busy,user will get the page from WWW1.DOMAIN.
>If WWW1.DOMAIN is busy,user will connect to WWW2.DOMAIN to fetch the
>pages.
>How i can configure my DNS ?
>Or Where can i configure to do so?
>Thx alot!!!

You can't use DNS to do this kind of load balancing. There is no
way the DNS server can check system load before deciding how to
reply. "Big" sites use DNS to do round-robin load sharing, where
the same name can resolve to more than one system. The DNS server will
resolve the name to the different addresses in turn, but that isn't
dependent on the system loads.

A question about DNS!

Post by Michael Fu » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > i have got a question ,i am seeking help:
> >I have setup two WWW server,the domain names are  WWW1.DOMAIN  ,
> >WWW2.DOMAIN
> >the HomePage file in both server are the same.
> >But I want user  to use WWW.DOMAIN to access my server,
> >if WWW1.DOMAIN is not busy,user will get the page from WWW1.DOMAIN.
> >If WWW1.DOMAIN is busy,user will connect to WWW2.DOMAIN to fetch the
> >pages.
> >How i can configure my DNS ?
> >Or Where can i configure to do so?
> >Thx alot!!!

> You can't use DNS to do this kind of load balancing. There is no
> way the DNS server can check system load before deciding how to
> reply. "Big" sites use DNS to do round-robin load sharing, where
> the same name can resolve to more than one system. The DNS server will
> resolve the name to the different addresses in turn, but that isn't
> dependent on the system loads.

You can use DNS to do this kind of load balancing with lbnamed:

    http://www.stanford.edu/~riepel/lbnamed/

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

1. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

Want to set up DHCP/DNS on an internal TCPIP network with a mixture
NT4/SP5, W9x, and linux network.  Trick is that many of the name/ip
assignments can be dynamic.  My understanding is that DNS is a static
arrangement.  How can one provide for the dynamic nature of the
name/ip assignments.

Normally, one would use WINS (good, bad, indifferent) but that doesn't
help the linux boxes (none of them has, or needs, samba).  Is there a
more generic, standard way of providing a 'dynamic' DNS ?

The network is a mix of NT4SP5 desktops, a couple of NT Servers
running Oracle, SQL Server, and file/print services, and some linux
boxes doing various things such as DHCP, firewall duty, apache, and
some other things.  There are also a couple of W9x boxes sitting
around, mostly with USB stuff hooked to them.  All are networked w/
TCPIP on the 192.168.3.x  address space.

I went ahead and set up the DHCP on two low-end linux boxes that were
laying around.  I split the address space between 3.50 - 3.125 on one,
and then 3.126 - 3.200 on the other to provide redundancy.

I have not set up bind on these boxes until I figure out how to handle
the dynamic DNS issue.

In NT there can be a link between DNS and WINS, but I don't really
want to set up the DHCP /DNS/WINS arrangement on any of our existing
NT server boxes; they're twitchy enough as it is, and the two boxes
mentioned earlier aren't really upscale enough to put NT on, anyway.

hm.  So, to summarize the rambling:

1.  What 'generic', standard (simple, easily maintained, even
automatic) ways are there to do dynamic name services tied with a DHCP
services.

2.  Can these solutions be easily implemented on linux or free unix
boxes?

thanx

LTho
Remove the .n.o.spam to reply

----------------------------
 Spam bait (With credit to E. Needham):

2. SuperProbe output questions

3. DNS lookup question / LILO question

4. Help! Kernel panicing after 3com install

5. ifconfig question and DNS/DIG question

6. installing yellowdog

7. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

8. Unable to mount root

9. UNIX DNS vs NT DNS

10. DNS: can I set my dns to forward a web address to another server ?

11. What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

12. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

13. h2n using "DNS Boss" a java GUI for DNS primary's