IP autoconfigure via DHCP please help!

Post by Bob and Millie Taylo » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:45:15

I hope one of you guys out there can help me out here.  I'm working with
RedHat 8.0 and attempting to set up a web server.  I'm on GCI's cable modem
and don't currently have a static IP.  Installing RedHat works fine.  No
complaints there.

Now, here's my problem:  When I compile a new kernel (ver 2.4.20), it breaks
my networking!  Device eth0 comes up fine, but it fails to configure its IP
via DHCP.  I have CONFIG_IP_PNP set to Y and CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP set to Y as
well.  I know DHCP is installed and working because the old kernel
(2.4.18-26.8.0 Athlon architecture RPM from RedHat's FTP) has no trouble
getting an IP via DHCP on boot.

Are there other kernel components that this requires that I'm missing?  Or
is there another file I need to look at?  I'd be happy to post my .config
file if you guys request it.  Any help would be welcome.

-]Bob

IP autoconfigure via DHCP please help!

Post by asadche » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:22:44

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:45:15 -0900

Quote:> Now, here's my problem:  When I compile a new kernel (ver 2.4.20), it breaks
> my networking!  Device eth0 comes up fine, but it fails to configure its IP
> via DHCP.  I have CONFIG_IP_PNP set to Y and CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP set to Y as
> well.  I know DHCP is installed and working because the old kernel
> (2.4.18-26.8.0 Athlon architecture RPM from RedHat's FTP) has no trouble
> getting an IP via DHCP on boot.

Why dont you just use userland dhcp client?  You dont have to have kernel level dhcp
unless you are doing something like a diskless host with root of nfs.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/...

IP autoconfigure via DHCP please help!

Post by acruxi » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:25:10

Quote:> I hope one of you guys out there can help me out here.  I'm working with
> RedHat 8.0 and attempting to set up a web server.  I'm on GCI's cable modem
> and don't currently have a static IP.  Installing RedHat works fine.  No
> complaints there.

> Now, here's my problem:  When I compile a new kernel (ver 2.4.20), it breaks
> my networking!  Device eth0 comes up fine, but it fails to configure its IP
> via DHCP.  I have CONFIG_IP_PNP set to Y and CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP set to Y as
> well.  I know DHCP is installed and working because the old kernel
> (2.4.18-26.8.0 Athlon architecture RPM from RedHat's FTP) has no trouble
> getting an IP via DHCP on boot.

> Are there other kernel components that this requires that I'm missing?  Or
> is there another file I need to look at?  I'd be happy to post my .config
> file if you guys request it.  Any help would be welcome.

> -]Bob

hm...
how about using ethereal/tcpdump to see if there's any traffic on port
67/68?

/etc/init.d/network stop
ethereal (filter: port 67 or port 68 )
/etc/init.d/network start

you should see the DHCP offer/discovery.
What's in your /var/lib/dhcp/*.conf?

1. Help please, dhcp get's IP during bootup.

Running RH 5.0 2.0.31

Upon booting up Linux, after dhcp get's my IP address, then everything else
comes to a slow, slow crawl loading the daemons, such as sendmail, smb, etc...
right after.

I'm connecting to my ISP via cable modem, "Roadrunner" and I would assume I'm
not logged in as of yet, the daemons can't find anything and they sit there
for several minutes during the bootup before I get the login prompt.

Any advice, how can I get around this until I can log into my ISP? Or, isn't
this a problem while the daemons are loading during  bootup, which I have
something missing...

Thanks, Jeff
Please reply email

2. radeon 7500 installation crash.

3. Unable to reach router to get IP address via DHCP

4. How to prevent user access to root?

5. IP autoconfig via DHCP?

6. fetchmail

7. How do you set hostname in linux box that gets ip via DHCP?

8. Pb Xfree4.0

9. Possible to supply proxy server IP via DHCP?

10. Updating NAT-rules when receiving a new IP address via DHCP

11. RH 6.0 pump not getting IP via DHCP from Cisco 675

12. DSL Support or IP Masquerading via DHCP???

13. DHCP Server doesn't give IP via cable modem