Is Diskless Linux poss with bootp & NFS?

Is Diskless Linux poss with bootp & NFS?

Post by H.J. Gibs » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I want to get rid of the local hard-disk, and run a
Linux machine purely with NFS hosted disk (probably Solaris machine).

        One problem is that I need to get the Linux machine booted!
There is already an existing method for doing this for diskless,
networked systems... the bootp protocol.   There is even provision
on many Ethernet cards to install a boot EPROM for such a purpose.

        I have looked in the NET-2 , NFS and Ethernet documents for
references to bootp  but there seems no mention of it.

        Has anyone written bootp code for Linux?   The EPROM code
to get a diskless linux machine booted is the most useful.
(code to make a Linux-based bootp server would be nice too).

        I don't think there are any limitations on running an NFS-
only machine (I won't use /proc file system, and machine will have plenty
of real memory, so swapping should be rare).

        Comments and suggestions will be gratefully received,
                H. Gibson

Post by Jim Chishol » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> |       Has anyone written bootp code for Linux?   The EPROM code
> | to get a diskless linux machine booted is the most useful.
> | (code to make a Linux-based bootp server would be nice too).

> Problem is solved, someone makes the ROM you need, from memory for
> either the WD8013 or NE2000. I don't know of a bootp server, and
> that's really too bad, because I would like to use it for installs
> as well as boot.

> I bet someone will post who has the ROM, if not I'll look for it.
> --

> "As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
>                 -Dave Welch

Hi people..

I'm using such a setup using SMC Ultras for which a $15.00 boot ROM is
readily available..as for the bootp server it certainly exists for Linux
(and works very well)
If anyone can't track it down it's in my anonymous /pub dir.
(ftp://electron.phys.dal.ca/pub/bootpd-2.4.tar.gz)

Cheers

Jim

Post by Mario Schmi » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: I want to get rid of the local hard-disk, and run a
: Linux machine purely with NFS hosted disk (probably Solaris machine).

:       One problem is that I need to get the Linux machine booted!
: There is already an existing method for doing this for diskless,
: networked systems... the bootp protocol.   There is even provision
: on many Ethernet cards to install a boot EPROM for such a purpose.

:       I have looked in the NET-2 , NFS and Ethernet documents for
: references to bootp  but there seems no mention of it.

:       Has anyone written bootp code for Linux?   The EPROM code
: to get a diskless linux machine booted is the most useful.
: (code to make a Linux-based bootp server would be nice too).
Hi,
i have found a file called etherboot.???? Have a look at www.ix.de there
is a project with an diskless X-Terminal. I think the Code for the
Bootproms will be there. Booting works for me, but i have still Problems with
the NFS and i cant get the X-Server up.

If you cant find the Source E-Mail me and I will send it to you next week.

:       I don't think there are any limitations on running an NFS-
: only machine (I won't use /proc file system, and machine will have plenty
: of real memory, so swapping should be rare).

:       Comments and suggestions will be gratefully received,
:               H. Gibson

Bye

--
(Im Uebrigen: WIN9X user gehoeren zu den groessten glaeubigen der Welt:
 Sie GLAUBEN, Sie benutzen ein Betriebssystem )

Post by Mark Levi » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>: I want to get rid of the local hard-disk, and run a
>: Linux machine purely with NFS hosted disk (probably Solaris machine).
>:   One problem is that I need to get the Linux machine booted!
>: There is already an existing method for doing this for diskless,
>: networked systems... the bootp protocol.   There is even provision
>: on many Ethernet cards to install a boot EPROM for such a purpose.
>:   I have looked in the NET-2 , NFS and Ethernet documents for
>: references to bootp  but there seems no mention of it.

  The latest kernel (1.3.76) is supposed to support mounting root over NFS and
using BOOTP to configure everything.  I have no experience with this, I'm just
passing on what was in the patch info...

                    Mark E. Levitt
    Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University

         Home Page:  http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint =  B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE  F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

Post by Ken Y » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

|I want to get rid of the local hard-disk, and run a
|Linux machine purely with NFS hosted disk (probably Solaris machine).
|
|       One problem is that I need to get the Linux machine booted!
|There is already an existing method for doing this for diskless,
|networked systems... the bootp protocol.   There is even provision
|on many Ethernet cards to install a boot EPROM for such a purpose.

Look for etherboot-1.1.tar.gz at your Linux archive.

|       I have looked in the NET-2 , NFS and Ethernet documents for
|references to bootp  but there seems no mention of it.

Ask archie about bootp-DD2.4.3.tar.gz. You may also need tftpd sources.

|       Has anyone written bootp code for Linux?   The EPROM code
|to get a diskless linux machine booted is the most useful.
|(code to make a Linux-based bootp server would be nice too).
|
|       I don't think there are any limitations on running an NFS-
|only machine (I won't use /proc file system, and machine will have plenty
|of real memory, so swapping should be rare).

There are some gotchas to do with NFS mounting of root and maybe swap.
It's also somewhat kernel version dependent. I believe somebody has
written a short HOWTO on this. Sorry, I lost the URL.

1. diskless linux with bootp, tftp, nfs servers on os/2???

My main box at home is running warp connect 3.0.  Unfortunately I
have limited knowledge about linux, unix, and network configurations.
I use the network at work for telnet, ftp, etc. but have never had to
configure this stuff.

I want to set up a second box at home running linux with no floppy
drive, no hard drive, no keyboard, and no monitor card.  BTW, can
linux boot without a monitor card assumming the bios allows this???

I want to play with getting a system like this to boot over ethernet.
One use for this is a linux print server; I can telnet and ftp to it as
well just to play around.

I figure the first step is to get linux installed in the normal fashion
on the local hard drive, get the network stuff functioning, and then
move to a diskless configuration.

I read the etherboot/netboot faq and took a look at the source
code as well.  I have a cheap MaxTech ethernet card (NE2000
clone) in what will hopefully become the linux box.

Has anyone set up a diskless linux box that boots from a warp
box?  Looks like the faqs cover the linux side pretty good.  So
now I'm hunting for info on the warp side.  I did discover the
bootp & tftp options in the warp connect setup, but nothing about
nfs.  Is there a freeware nfs server package for warp???  Is nfs
even needed for this?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

2. Problem in ksh script to calc diff between dates/times

3. Intel Pentium P55C vs. P54C processors

4. Running bootp or bootpc on diskless NFS-root box

5. Porting Device Driver to NetBSD-1.1

6. diskless machine, bootp+tftp, can it be done without nfs?

7. 2.5.72 O(1) interactivity bugfix

8. Need info about Bootp & Imagefile for diskless workstation

9. BOOTP & diskless

10. Linux diskless station with bootp

11. Diskless Linux X-Terminal (Was: Re: Diskless Linux machines)

12. Diskless NFS error - "Stale NFS File Handle"