Netscape news.....newsgroup names are smushed...

Netscape news.....newsgroup names are smushed...

Post by ENVS » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
remained smushed like

comp....isc   is meant to be comp.os.linux.misc

I can't find any defaults or preferences that let me lengthen these. It's
a real pain trying to find the news gorups I'm ineterested in!!

Marcus

Post by Ayman Haida » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
> I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
> Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
> are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
> remained smushed like

> comp....isc   is meant to be comp.os.linux.misc

> I can't find any defaults or preferences that let me lengthen these. It's
> a real pain trying to find the news gorups I'm ineterested in!!

> Marcus

look on the top of the window that has the newsgroups names you will
find names ..a check sign ..total..etc. move your mouse pointer there
until it changes it's shape and push the left button and drag it to the
right..

hope that will help.

Ayman

Post by Mark Hamstr » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
> I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
> Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
> are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
> remained smushed like

> comp....isc   is meant to be comp.os.linux.misc

> I can't find any defaults or preferences that let me lengthen these. It's
> a real pain trying to find the news gorups I'm ineterested in!!

> Marcus

He,he --this is an easy one: point your mouse at the header line --e.g., the 'Name
<checkmark> Unread Total' line in the left panel; if you point just to the left of
the <checkmark>, your cursor should change to a funny double arrow that allows you
to resize the header and column.

Mark

Netscape news.....newsgroup names are smushed...

Post by bill mccart » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
>I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
>Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
>are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
>remained smushed like

>comp....isc   is meant to be comp.os.linux.misc

>I can't find any defaults or preferences that let me lengthen these. It's
>a real pain trying to find the news gorups I'm ineterested in!!

>Marcus

Hiya:

If you move your cursor slowly over the top of the groups section, you'll
see small bracket symbols appear. Use these to widen the columns you
need to. Good luck.

LI N U X <------

Post by Philippe Peeter » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
> I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
> Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
> are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
> remained smushed like

> comp....isc   is meant to be comp.os.linux.misc

> I can't find any defaults or preferences that let me lengthen these. It's
> a real pain trying to find the news gorups I'm ineterested in!!

> Marcus

Point the mouse cursor to the right of the name field in the header of the newsgroups
list. The pointer will change to a square corner with a double arrow. Click and drag
left or right to extent the name field width.

--
Philippe Peeters
Belgian Institute for Space Aeronomy     | Tel : +32-2-373.03.81

B-1180 Brussels, Belgium                 |

Post by Brandon Harri » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
> I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
> Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
> are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
> remained smushed like

> comp....isc   is meant to be comp.os.linux.misc

> I can't find any defaults or preferences that let me lengthen these. It's
> a real pain trying to find the news gorups I'm ineterested in!!

> Marcus

        Those column widths can be adjusted near the top of the frame where the diamonds and flags are -
just run your mouse along the column headers and then it will change shape - then you grab the column
side and adjust it to your wishes.  Then "save options" and it's permanent.

---

        Systems Consultant :: Administration :: HTML Authoring
url:http://www.gaijin.com/gaijin/  url:http://www.gaijin.com/EvilPeople

Post by Emile Hey » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
>I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
>Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
>are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
>remained smushed like

There's an (invisible) column seperator after the group names. Swing
around your pointer at the top of the groups frame wher the names end
to locate it.
BTW: if you want an easy to set up X newsreader, with kill-file support
and all, try knews.

--
Bye,

Emile

Disclaimer: the opinions in this messages are *mine*, and
have *no* bearing whatsoever on the opinions of the company.
So there.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that
will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

Post by Nigel Longmi » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>>I got so sick and tired of trying to configure NN or INN for nntp news,
>>I finally threw them out in favor of simplicity...netscape news.
>>Works great right of the bat, the only problem being the newsgroup names
>>are smushed in the frame on the left. I made the frame bigger, but they
>>remained smushed like
>There's an (invisible) column seperator after the group names. Swing
>around your pointer at the top of the groups frame wher the names end
>to locate it.
>BTW: if you want an easy to set up X newsreader, with kill-file support
>and all, try knews.

I second what Emile says about Knews.  I downloaded it today and using it
right now.  Works a treat.

------------------
Nigel Longmire

Post by xllam » Mon, 08 Apr 1996 05:00:00

> There's an (invisible) column seperator after the group names. Swing
> around your pointer at the top of the groups frame wher the names end
> to locate it.
> BTW: if you want an easy to set up X newsreader, with kill-file support
> and all, try knews.

> --
> Bye,

> Emile

Does knews support user authentication ? I was perfectly happy
using trn but the news service I subscribed to (Zippo) requires
a user ID and password, so I'm now using netscape news which
I realy don't like.

Xavier.

1. netscape News: "show all newsgroups" doesn't work

I've installed Netscape, and the browser portion works fine, but in the
News window, the "show all newsgroups" option doesn't work; it goes up through
"alt" and quits.  So I can't see how to subscribe to any newsgroups (above
"alt").  This behavior is identical with NN 3.01 (standard) and NN 2.02.  I've
installed the patch from 'theofilu', but this made no difference.  I also
checked out the win95 version of NN 2.02, and that works correctly.

I'm using:
    linux 2.0.27        32mb ram
    libc 5.4.17         82mb swap
    ld.so 1.8.5
    ppp 2.2.0f

Does anybody know the cure for this?

Neil.

2. SMP and large memory support...

3. Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

4. Reading from the serial port

5. New newsgroup - news://news.3dfx.com/glide.linux

6. 2 linux questions

7. Netscape demo doesn't show newsgroup names

8. mush

9. Netscape 1.12 (No NEWS is not necessarily good news!)

10. Mail 2 News for Netscape News server

11. Netscape 1.12 (No NEWS is not necessarily good news)

12. Am I in the correct newsgroup?

13. I am new to using newsgroups