diald question (modem dialing)

Post by Marc Day » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've installed the diald rpm (diald 0.16) and it detects internet bound
packets and inits the modem.  And that's where my problems start.

diald doesn't seems to init the modem properly.  Where I am we still old
analgue exchanges, so modem don't detect dialtone and fail with a "NO
DIALTONE" response.
I put an &X3 (later took that down to a &X1) in the init string in the
connect script, but it didn't work.

I'm sure the modem does respond correctly to the X3 because that's what
I use when I dial out with minicom.

So it seems as tho' diald is either not reading from the file given as
the arg to connect, or is simply ignoring the init string.

please send e-mail if possible, but I'll check the ng as well.

--

Marc Nevin Daya
"REALITY.SYS corrupted - UNIVERSE halted"

MindSpring Computing

116 Broad Rd MediCentre
Broad Road
Wynberg
Cape Town

web:    www.mindspring.co.za

Ph  : +27 21 761 1000
Fax : +27 21 761 1001

diald question (modem dialing)

Post by Trane Franck » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I've installed the diald rpm (diald 0.16) and it detects internet bound
> packets and inits the modem.  And that's where my problems start.

> diald doesn't seems to init the modem properly.  Where I am we still old
> analgue exchanges, so modem don't detect dialtone and fail with a "NO
> DIALTONE" response.
> I put an &X3 (later took that down to a &X1) in the init string in the
> connect script, but it didn't work.

There's the problem; the AT command set specifies that the
blind dial/recognize busy is X3, *not* &X3. Just get rid
of the ampersand and you should be okay. Be sure that you
define your connect script in diald.conf, e.g.:

connect /usr/lib/diald/connect

...and, of course, the script has to be executable.

Hope this helps.

trane
//  Our OS who art in cpu,
//  UNIX be thy name,
//  Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
//  In Kernel as it is in user.
//  Amen.

diald question (modem dialing)

Post by Tor Slettne » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

    Marc> diald doesn't seems to init the modem properly.  Where I am
    Marc> we still old analgue exchanges, so modem don't detect
    Marc> dialtone and fail with a "NO DIALTONE" response.  I put an
    Marc> &X3 (later took that down to a &X1) in the init string in
    Marc> the connect script, but it didn't work.

You can look at the exchange between 'chat' and your modem the
following way.  Insert this line into your /etc/syslog.conf:

        *.*                     /dev/tty8

(Be sure to use TAB's, not spaces. There is a bug).
Restart syslogd. ("killall -HUP syslogd").

Start your dialling sequence.  You can now use Ctrl-Alt-F8 to view
the syslog messages produced by diald real-time; Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return
to X, or Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F6 to return to the
corresponding tty.

You should see what strings your chatscript produces, and how your
modem responds.  Also, if you enable the 'debug' flag in
/etc/ppp/options, you will see PPP negotiations, such as your
username and password.  For that reason, you may want to remove that
above line from /etc/syslog.conf when you have figured everything out.

-tor

Post by Soren Riis » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I've installed the diald rpm (diald 0.16) and it detects internet bound
> packets and inits the modem.  And that's where my problems start.

Use pppd-2.3.3 with dial-on-demand, it is much easier to configure and get
to work.

Soren

diald question (modem dialing)

Post by Ken » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

i asked this before but with no response so here goes again.
I installed pppd-2.3.3-2 but when I put the demand in I get a message
that my kernel doesn't support demand dialing. i recompiled the kernel,
what stupid thing did I forget? I'm running RH5.0 w/ kernel 2.0.33

--
Ken C.
remove zz's for reply

Post by Tony Lil » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> i asked this before but with no response so here goes again.
> I installed pppd-2.3.3-2 but when I put the demand in I get a message
> that my kernel doesn't support demand dialing. i recompiled the kernel,
> what stupid thing did I forget? I'm running RH5.0 w/ kernel 2.0.33

The 2.0.33 kernel still comes with the 2.2.x ppp drivers. You have to
get the ppp-2.3.3 source (probably on sunsite.unc.edu), and follow the
intructions for updating the kernel drivers and re-compile your
kernel.
--

President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571
539 Grand Valley Dr., Cambridge, Ont. N3H 2S2     (519) 241 2461

1. can't get new modem to dial via diald

Hello,
    I was wondering whether someone could explain to me why I can't get
my old modem to dial via this diald script....I have a USR external 56K
modem:

fifo /etc/diald/diald.ctl
mode ppp
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/ds"
device /dev/ttyS0
speed 115200
modem
lock
crtscts
local xxxxxxxx
remote xxxxxxxx
dynamic
defaultroute
pppd-options debug noipdefault
include /usr/lib/diald/standard.filter

where /etc/ppp/ds is:

"" ATZ OK ATDT9,Phone_NBR CONNECT "" login: Login_Name  assword:
Pass_Word

I can excecute the follwing command and the modem dials just fine:

pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATDT9,Phone_NBR CONNECT "" login: Login_name
assword: Pass_Word' /dev/ttyS0 modem crtscts 115200 defaultroute
0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
                                                    Brian Gilman

2. Sony Spressa CRX140E

3. Diald not dialing after modem is shut off.

4. newbie with video resolution problems

5. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

6. Graphics File Browsers

7. Modem Problems: dial-out is ok/dial-in is not ok (Solaris 2.6)

8. make command problem with dependencies..!

9. Challange: Sharing One Modem for both Dial In and Dial Out.

10. dialing program; modem receives dialstring but doesn't dial?

11. Can a modem be *both* dial-in and dial-out?

12. How to stop modem dialling when no dial-tone present