Geographic location of IP numbers

Post by David Jorda » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is there a reliable (and cheap) source of geographic locations for ip
adresses & ranges? something like xtraceroute does ... but looking at
the files that were with that, half of my world is missing!!!
I have come up with a plan that does not require motif etc etc etc, but
rather a simple output from traceroute & a few minor mods to xearth :-)
Works a treat :-)
Obviously for something like this to work, the location does not have to
be down to the last dot, but rather something like long/latitude in
degrees and minutes only.

--
David Jordan
`fortune -s` << netscape ... huh!

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Is there a reliable (and cheap) source of geographic locations for ip
> adresses & ranges?

No.  DNS is cheap but it's not reliable - most poeple simply don't
bother filling in the geographic data.

This question is frequently discussed over in the groups that deal
with DNS and IP - I suggest you go there and read.

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

Geographic location of IP numbers

Post by David Jorda » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

ta ...

> > Is there a reliable (and cheap) source of geographic locations for ip
> > adresses & ranges?

> No.  DNS is cheap but it's not reliable - most poeple simply don't
> bother filling in the geographic data.

> This question is frequently discussed over in the groups that deal
> with DNS and IP - I suggest you go there and read.

1. location <-> ip number

is there a way to figure out where on this planet a server is
located, if one knows the ip number?

--

PFF [ Linux, X, Games, Java ]           http://www.fwi.uva.nl/~mdekker/pff.html
message of the week:

2. Linux Getting Put To Work on the Movie Titanitc

3. Geographic breakdown of IP space

4. another simple sed question...

5. IP addr with geographic zone?

6. X86 NOTEBOOK INSTALL PROBLEMS

7. Translating IP to Geographic Coordinates?

8. Sharing memory between processes/processors.

9. can I "listen" to IP traffic without own IP number?

10. IP without own IP-Number

11. troff pagination: changing page number location at chaper breaks

12. maymap / pdisk-sdisk / serial number / location

13. IP Masq, PPP and valid IP numbers