keeping ethernet interface always up

Post by Balba » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 03:12:03

Hi,

I have a cross cable between my computer and a target embedded device.
Often the embedded device does not have its networking up and running,
therefore if I type the command ifconfig eth0 <ipaddress> up within
seconds the interface goes down again. Is there a way to keep it
always up?

I tried ethtool eth0 -s autoneg off but this did not help either.

Thanks in advance,

Bahadir

Post by Hopfer Alois Marti » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 04:48:52

> Hi,
> I have a cross cable between my computer and a target embedded device.
> Often the embedded device does not have its networking up and running,
> therefore if I type the command ifconfig eth0 <ipaddress> up within
> seconds the interface goes down again. Is there a way to keep it
> always up?
> I tried ethtool eth0 -s autoneg off but this did not help either.
> Thanks in advance,
> Bahadir

I don not know if it helps:

 Try a switch (better) or Hub between the devices.

So it does not matter if it is cross over oder direct cable.

Outherwise it could also be a problem of one cable that is not right.
It is also possible that you only have to change the cable.

Maybe it helps
 --- Louis ---