Handling Dynamically Assigned IP Numbers?

Handling Dynamically Assigned IP Numbers?

Post by Jonathan Oakle » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hallo,

The IP numbers of my dial-in ISPs Domain Name Server is dynamically
assigned during the connection process.

Is there anyway I can set the DNS IP number dynamically?

Many thanks in advance. Regards,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Oakley (Scientific Assistant)
ETH Zurich - Bildwissenschaft / Image Science Group

Post by Brian McCaule » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> The IP numbers of my dial-in ISPs Domain Name Server is dynamically
> assigned during the connection process.

> Is there anyway I can set the DNS IP number dynamically?

Last I knew (pppd v2.2.0) the MS proprietory extension to IPCP to pass
DNS server number was only half supported by pppd.  That's to say a
Linux server can service MS clients but not the reverse.  Logically
these should be passed by pppd as arguments to /etc/ppp/ip-up.  You
should check the pppd man page to see if this feature has been added yet.

1. Handling dynamically assigned IP addresses?

I am attempting to run SLIP on a dial-up.  I dial in from my Linux box
(using kermit--should I use something else?) and at the prompt on the remote
machine (at Penn State), I type "slip."  The remote answers to the effect
that my IP address is 128.118.25.xxx.  How do I then connect up and run
SLIP from Linux?  Do I use a different comms package to make the connection?
Do i put kermit running in the background and fire up some other software?
Do I need to edit my host, rc.net, etc... files to handle the dynamic
address?  (I could use the domain portion, but the xxx changes with
every dial-in.)  I'm fairly new to Linux, and have read all of the FAQ's
that I can find, but I haven't come accross something on dynamic IP
addresses and initiating a SLIP connection yet.

Also, a related question (modem-related at least), where is the FAQ on
setting up a getty to auto-answer on a modem to allow others to dial
into my machine as terminals?

--
Jeff Uphoff -- "Uppie"     |

2. Secure Shells?

3. Correct IP configuration for machine with dynamically-assigned IP address?

4. Adding character's

5. Dynamically assign VPN IP's to LAN static IP's

6. UPS, APC seriel interface

7. Dynamically assigned major device numbers

8. HELP: how to convert files from Html to Pdf using command line

9. How to setup dynamically server assigned IP's for corporate net

10. Spam - sendmail 8.8.8 modify for dynamically assigned IP

11. Dialup PPP with dynamically assigned IP address on SCO OpenServer

12. Help- Getting Around Dynamically Assigned IP

13. ifconfig:how to figure out my dynamically assigned ip address?