RH 7.1 and 3c90x network module - Where is it?

RH 7.1 and 3c90x network module - Where is it?

Post by Ron Reede » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:40:52

In the past I've found that the 3c90x network module is better code than
the 3c59x module.  This in RH 6.2.

I just setup a new machine with 7.1 - It grabbed the 3c59x module.

But, I cannot find the 3c90x module anywhere - no module, no source.

The 3Com website only has a 6.2 version.

A search of RedHat's website indicates that the module should be there.

I checked - Donald Becker's site - Though it has version in RPM's it
doesn't indicate which version of RedHat they are for.

Anybody here with prior experience on this?

(I did searches of all the linux news groups  - subject lines, anyway.)

TIA

Post by Joshua Baker-LePai » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 02:26:18

> In the past I've found that the 3c90x network module is better code than
> the 3c59x module.  This in RH 6.2.

That *was* true, but...

Quote:> I just setup a new machine with 7.1 - It grabbed the 3c59x module.
> But, I cannot find the 3c90x module anywhere - no module, no source.
> The 3Com website only has a 6.2 version.

Exactly.  3Com has not updated their driver for the 2.4.x kernel series.
So, it won't compile.

However, you don't need it.  While it *used* to be the case that 3c90x
was better than 3c59x in some cases, the new 3c59x is very, very good.
I've got several machines with 3c905{B,C} cards running RH7.1 with
3c59x very happily.

So, in short, use 3c59x and don't worry about it.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

1. RH 7.1 & 3C90x NIC Problem

Hi,

I just installed RH 7.1 on a BX MoBo with NIC 3C900B-Combo. Everything runs
well except the Network. I can not get it works with 3C59x module
installed. I DL the 3C90x driver from 3Com but it seems the driver is
precompiled only for kernel 2.2.x. I tried recompiling it with the provided
batch ./compile_UP with no success.

I really appreciate it if anyone can help me on this

TIA
Bodong

NB: WinNT works fine on the same box

2. collapsing RFC header/footer

3. 3c90x Module on Mandrake 7.1

4. settin speaker volume

5. RH 7.1 "Can't locate module"/soundcard question

6. moving solaris

7. Problem loading modules for Tekram DC-390U2W on boot in RH 7.1

8. Question about assembly instruction on 386

9. RH 7.1 modules compile problem

10. Problems loading sd_mod modules with RH 7.1

11. Make modules fails with RH 7.1

12. sd_mod module not autoloading on RH 7.1

13. RH 7.1 make modules problem