Samba (nmbd) crash when enabling WINS support

Samba (nmbd) crash when enabling WINS support

Post by S.P. Hughe » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Every time that I try to enable WINS support in the smb.conf the nmb
daemon decides it is time to crash. It starts the nmb daemon fine using
the command "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start", then dies.  I am running
Redhat 6.0 with Samba 2.0.3.  This machine is being used as a cd server
only, on a very small network with no other WINS server present. Any
help would be appreciated.

Shaun

################## smb.conf ###############

# Global parameters
        workgroup = FOO
        netbios name = HOST_2
        server string = CDROM Server
        interfaces = 192.168.0.2/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
;       wins server = yes
        dns proxy = No
        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

; [homes]
;       comment = Home Directories
;       path = %H
;       valid users = %S
;       read only = No
;       create mask = 0600
;       directory mask = 0700
;       browseable = No
;       locking = No

[cd_1]
        path = /cdroms/cd_1
        read only = Yes
        locking = No

etc. etc.

####################

1. Samba 2.0.10 - nmbd crashed

I had nmbd crash the other day. As far as I know, it's the first time it
happened. I have no idea why, only it PANICed and exited on signal 11.

I was using kernel 2.4.3 (RH 7.1 upgraded) with the Samba 2.0.10 package
(I think from RawHide). At the time I believe I was messing around with
the network config on my box -- I first changed the hostname to another
and back again, and then the IP address to another and back again (in
both cases to match another machine on the network, inadvisable, I know:
I stopped the other machine's network services before changing the IP
address).

Has anyone else encountered this problem (i.e. is it software related),
or should I be more worried?

Many thanks,
J.H. Ettle.

2. i gotta ppp

3. Samba 2.0.0 daemons smbd and nmbd won't load

4. Bind 9: Sorta working

5. SAMBA nmbd won't start

6. When is the next Slackware coming?

7. PCMCIA not enabling nmbd daemon

8. Hercules Terminator 128/GL (S3 Trio 3D)

9. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

10. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!

11. Samba without nmbd

12. Samba nmbd & windows 95

13. Samba (nmbd) eats my RAM!