Please Help

Post by Andre » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 12:57:55

I just got a Lindows PC and I need to install a networking driver. I can't
seem to find one for my motherboard. It is SIS740 Chipset. I looked on
www.sis.com and couldn't find it. Could anyone please please help??? Lindows
is just like linux and it takes linux drivers.

Thanks in advance,
ANDREW

Please Help

Post by asadche » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 15:19:17

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:57:55 -0600

> I just got a Lindows PC and I need to install a networking driver. I can't
> seem to find one for my motherboard. It is SIS740 Chipset. I looked on
> www.sis.com and couldn't find it. Could anyone please please help??? Lindows
> is just like linux and it takes linux drivers.

Assuming it is a desktop PC, assuming Lindows uses linux kernel and has unix utilities, run
lspci and look for ethernet entry in output.  This will tell you the name of the chipset.
It is probably RealTek, but you still need to know what the NIC is before you can find the driver.

Please Help

Post by john » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 15:25:13

> I just got a Lindows PC and I need to install a networking driver. I can't
> seem to find one for my motherboard. It is SIS740 Chipset. I looked on
> www.sis.com and couldn't find it. Could anyone please please help???
> Lindows is just like linux and it takes linux drivers.

Do you mean a driver for your network Card? If so check the card
manufacturer's site.

If the network connection is actually built in to the motherboard then that
is a different issue, maybe you need to check the bios and see if in fact
the device is "on".

I know nothing about lindows, so maybe you need to ask your supplier if the
above doesn't help.

--
John
Remove __nospam & all numerals from address for reply

Please Help

Post by Phil Staple » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:45:15

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:57:55 -0600

>> I just got a Lindows PC and I need to install a networking driver. I
>> can't seem to find one for my motherboard. It is SIS740 Chipset. I looked
>> on www.sis.com and couldn't find it. Could anyone please please help???
>> Lindows is just like linux and it takes linux drivers.

> Assuming it is a desktop PC, assuming Lindows uses linux kernel and has
> unix utilities, run
> lspci and look for ethernet entry in output.  This will tell you the name
> of the chipset. It is probably RealTek, but you still need to know what
> the NIC is before you can find the driver.

As far as I'm aware Lindows is Linux but made to look and work like Windows
XP........Brrrr what a horrilbe thought. Have you had a look in the
motherboard manuel for any indication as to what the nic on your
motherboard is? Maybe there is a driver disk that came with it and even if
it doesn't have a linux driver on it it will give you an idication as to
what driver/module you need to install or enable to get it working.

Also try opening a terminal and typing lsmod to what is loaded and once
you've found out what module you need type modprobe xxxxxxx  (where xxxxx
is the name of the module). If you get no error message you will need to
either add or uncomment the module from your /etc/modules.conf file or
wherever lindows stores this info.

Good luck
--
remove nospam to reply

Please Help

Post by Andre » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:45:26

It is a desktop pc, and Lindows is nothing but linux just looks like windows
kind of. The motherboard manual had nothing about linux on it. I bought the
computer on ebay and lindows on ebay and then I installed lindows. The
company we bought it from said that it was a SIS740 Chipset. I searched for
that on www.sis.com and found my sound driver but no networking driver. I
have an ethernet card on the motherboard and I need a driver for it. I
haven't opened this computer up  so I am supposing that it is a card on the
motherboard.
Thanks for all your help.

LATER,
ANDREW

Please Help

Post by Phil Staple » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 08:00:27

The NIC chipset is SiS 900 10/100BaseTX, I don't know what module to use for
it as i don't use one but this may point you on the right track. Try doing
a search on Google for "SIS740 Chipset networking" and then click on
groups. it's a lot quicker than waiting for a response from here.
--
remove nospam to reply

Please Help

Post by Andre » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:12:11

Ok I couldn't find a driver for the Ethernet card but I found out that the
Ethernet is on board. I am going to try to find a linux driver for one of my
Ethernet cards I have lieing around. It is a Netgear 10/100 Mbps PCI
Ethernet Network Card. Anybody know where to find a linux driver for this
card??

LATER,
ANDREW

Please Help

Post by John Oliv » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:37:00

> Ok I couldn't find a driver for the Ethernet card but I found out that the
> Ethernet is on board. I am going to try to find a linux driver for one of my
> Ethernet cards I have lieing around. It is a Netgear 10/100 Mbps PCI
> Ethernet Network Card. Anybody know where to find a linux driver for this
> card??

It almost certainly uses the tulip driver.

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/

Please Help

Post by Andre » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:33:09

What is the tulip driver?? Is that linux? Where can I find it?

THANKS,
ANDREW

Please Help

Post by MadDairyFarme » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:08:39

> What is the tulip driver??

The tulip driver is the driver for tulip based network cards.

Quote:> Is that linux?

Not in the real sense, but a part of the linux kernel modules

Quote:> Where can I find it?

 /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o
 This being the loadable module   On my Slackware 9 system.
 And check /usr/src/linux for the source files.

Quote:> THANKS,

--
With Regards
Steve Balchin

Please Help

Post by Henning Follman » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 02:45:53

> What is the tulip driver?? Is that linux? Where can I find it?

> THANKS,
> ANDREW

- A network driver
- No
- It is part of the kernel (under networking)

Henning

--

it consulting             |  http://www.itcfollmann.com

Please Help

Post by alw » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:41:12

> I just got a Lindows PC and I need to install a networking driver. I can't
> seem to find one for my motherboard. It is SIS740 Chipset. I looked on
> www.sis.com and couldn't find it. Could anyone please please help???
> Lindows is just like linux and it takes linux drivers.

> Thanks in advance,
> ANDREW

Why not just by a cheap NIC, open the case, slap it on and use the drivers
on the CD?

1. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

Everything ran WONDERFUL for about 4 months this machine ran several
servers it is a UDB w/ 340mb SCSI (SLOW 5mb) half inch internal hard
drive.  32 megs of true parity ram, Red hat 5.0 I get the following
error

NCR53-810-0: ERROR (0:48) (0-20-0) (8/33) * scripth (868:18000400).
NCR53-810-0: Script cmd = 888030000
NCR53-810-0: regdump : da 10 80 33 47 08 00 1f 01 08 00 28 80 00 08 00
NCR53-810-0: have to clear fifos

What the HELL is this and is there anyway to fix it ?  It seems to
occur when doing file writing, when i try to tar something for example
it will go into a continual unending loop displaying the above error
message.  I have refdisked, formated, and clean installed redhat and
the problem is still there :( Please help, if at all possible mail

2. bread_page and bwrite_page

3. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

4. CGI handling problem

5. PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!

6. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)

8. Bourne shell "read line"

9. NFS please help me please please please sniff

10. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

11. please please please help me!

12. Please Please Please HELP