Converting dynamic to static ?

Post by Peter Choynows » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am looking into setting up a floppy based router, and would like to
use Linux and gated.  The idea is to have just a minimum system with
2 network cards and a floppy.  A ramdisk would be used, so the floppy
is only needed for booting - no mechanical parts to fail :)  After
getting some idea of the space needed I have reached a conclusion that
I will need a static version of gated and few other programs for all of
this to fit on a single floppy.

In order to save some time I like to find out if there is a way to convert
a dynamicly linked binary e.g. /sbin/init into a static version ?

Thanks,
Peter

Converting dynamic to static ?

Post by BOFH » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

If you're wanting to run a system off a single floppy I would advise
MTRoute, PCRoute, or KA9Q.  archie for a site near you :)

                                                                        BOFH

Post by Rogier Wol » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I am looking into setting up a floppy based router, and would like to
: use Linux and gated.  The idea is to have just a minimum system with
: 2 network cards and a floppy.  A ramdisk would be used, so the floppy
: is only needed for booting - no mechanical parts to fail :)  After
: getting some idea of the space needed I have reached a conclusion that
: I will need a static version of gated and few other programs for all of
: this to fit on a single floppy.

: In order to save some time I like to find out if there is a way to convert
: a dynamicly linked binary e.g. /sbin/init into a static version ?

I have a ready-made package that does this, except for that I don't
have gated on the floppy. How large is the executable (with sharedlibs)?
I have a (light) shared lib on the floppy.......

While on the subject, does gated speak OSPF?

We just tested the performance of these beasts. We can get around
600k/sec through them, while the same hardware only allows 300k/sec
when using PCBRIDGE. The hardware by the way is a 386/DX40 with 4Mb
RAM and a single floppy drive.

                                                Roger.

--
 *** War doesn't determine who's right ****** War determines who's left. ***

 *** <a href="http://einstein.et.tudelft.nl/~wolff/">my own homepage</a> ***

Converting dynamic to static ?

Post by H. Peter Anv » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

Quote:

> : I am looking into setting up a floppy based router, and would like to
> : use Linux and gated.  The idea is to have just a minimum system with
> : 2 network cards and a floppy.  A ramdisk would be used, so the floppy
> : is only needed for booting - no mechanical parts to fail :)  After
> : getting some idea of the space needed I have reached a conclusion that
> : I will need a static version of gated and few other programs for all of
> : this to fit on a single floppy.

> : In order to save some time I like to find out if there is a way to convert
> : a dynamicly linked binary e.g. /sbin/init into a static version ?

> I have a ready-made package that does this, except for that I don't
> have gated on the floppy. How large is the executable (with sharedlibs)?
> I have a (light) shared lib on the floppy.......

> While on the subject, does gated speak OSPF?

Gated speaks OSPF.  You would be *much* better off will all dynamic
versions than all static versions, although since gated is pretty big
I doubt you'd manage it unless you're using 2.88 Mb floppies.
However, there is still a decent chance you can pull it off.  Use the
dynamic ramdisk patch by Chad Page, which lets you have more than one
ramdisk, and load gated by NFS (or FSP/FTP/TFTP) from a server.

Remember, you need the kernel on that floppy too...

As far as reliability is concerned, I think it is worth pointing out
that floppies are among the least reliable part of a modern PC.  You
may be better off buying the smallest IDE hard disks you can buy
(300-400 Mb drives seems to be as small as they sell'em now, and they
go for little more than $100), or boot the machines via NFS (I saw an
ad on c.o.l.a for netboot proms for Linux, I think $30.)  I personally
wish there was a bootable ROM (or EEPROM) disk card one could get for
these sort of things.

        -hpa

--

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Bah'u'llh
I don't work for Yggdrasil, but they sponsor the linux.* hierarchy.

1. Converting dynamic to static linked, How?

Is there an easy way to convert a dynamically linked program to static?

Thanks, Mike Campin
--
              ____________________________
             /                            \

          / http://www.hash.com/users/campin \
         /____________________________________\

Life is much simplier if you don't know what is going on.

2. Socket buffer sizes ...

3. Convert from static to dynamic IP and ppp config

4. IPX Collision help

5. converting dynamic executable to static?

6. PLEASE! Is this a H/W problem?

7. Converting static to dynamic libs?

8. archie server

9. mod_rewrite to convert dynamic JSP URL to static?

10. convert dynamic binary --> static binary possible?

11. To convert...and convert...and convert again

12. Converting a shared library to a static

13. Converting a dynamically linked binary to static