Low Power Firewall/Router Machine

Post by Tim Patto » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I wanted to set up a Linux machine as a firewall/router for my cable modem.
Since it gets left on all the time, I thought I'd be nice to the environment
(and my electric bill) and use as low power a platform as made sense.  Any
recomendations, PowerPC, 486....?

Tim

Low Power Firewall/Router Machine

Post by Rob Weis » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Anything will do.....Isometime use an old p2. Make sure that you have alot
of memory...There are Firewall configs that boot from floppy....thus
eliminating the constant draw of a hard drive.

> Hi,

> I wanted to set up a Linux machine as a firewall/router for my cable
modem.
> Since it gets left on all the time, I thought I'd be nice to the
environment
> (and my electric bill) and use as low power a platform as made sense.
Any
> recomendations, PowerPC, 486....?

> Tim

Low Power Firewall/Router Machine

Post by ghelbi » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Tim,

How about: http://www.rebel.com/netwinder/

15 watts running.

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

1. low-power, low cost hardware for solar powered project

I am researching hardware for a project that has the following primary
requirements:

1. low-power consumption
2. min. 2 serial ports, Ethernet port
3. capable of running a Java 2 JVM (and I mean running - not crawling ;-))
4. capaple of running an embedded DB (Java) system
5. low cost

I had a good search at the archives but most of the suggestions seem to be
'cutting edge' type hardware - which in most cases means high cost . I would
rather go for some established hardware as my computing requirements are not
that high.

The software that the system is going to run is very networking heavy
(XML-RPC ...) but no GUI or Graphics stuff. The system is going to run more
or less headless.

Size of the system is not a big issue. System is going pretty much
stationary.

Since my background is more software heavy I would like to get some feedback
what hardware is being used out there for similar projects.

Thanks in advance,

Leo Gaggl
Adelaide, South Australia

2. Security bug: BSD login.c version "5.73 (Berkeley) 6/29/91"

3. Quiet Low Power Homebuilt - Run Linux, be firewall / SMTP / NTP / WWW Proxy / fetchmail etc

4. Make 2.5.17 TLB even more friendlier

5. Low cost, low power small form-factor system?

6. Adaptec 7890 on board SCSI controller

7. BEST Linux distribution for ROUTER/FIREWALL machine?

8. ntp? Howto setup?

9. Interested in making a firewall and router on a Linux machine

10. Router+Firewall+Proxy+DNS on one Linux-Machine??

11. using firewalled linux router as answering machine, security compromised?

12. RedHat as a router to setup a firewall [6 machines]

13. 386sx/16 as a router/firewall machine -- is it possible?