How can I syncronize the date in my network?

How can I syncronize the date in my network?

Post by flau.. » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

    I have a private network (192.168.0.*) where I'm sharing files via
NFS. Sometimes the client box has a different date than the server so,
when you want to compile a .c file, the compiler says that the file has
been modified in the future. I figure out that I can fix the problem
using NTP, but I didn't find any documentation about the installation.
I've tried installing the xntpd in RedHat 6.0 box and running rdate
from a client, but it said Connection Denied. I don't know if this is
the best way to do that, and what do I do wrong. If you have any hint,
please let me know.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>    I have a private network (192.168.0.*) where I'm sharing files via
>NFS. Sometimes the client box has a different date than the server so,
>when you want to compile a .c file, the compiler says that the file has
>been modified in the future. I figure out that I can fix the problem
>using NTP, but I didn't find any documentation about the installation.
>I've tried installing the xntpd in RedHat 6.0 box and running rdate
>from a client, but it said Connection Denied. I don't know if this is
>the best way to do that, and what do I do wrong. If you have any hint,
>please let me know.

Have you tried looking under /usr/doc/xntp*

rdate is not related to xntp.  The command to get the time from xntpd is
ntpdate.  Then run 'clock -w' (or setclock in RedHat) to set the bios
clock/calendar to system time.

--

http://www.de-srv.com/   http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>>been modified in the future. I figure out that I can fix the problem
>>using NTP, but I didn't find any documentation about the installation.

Get the chrony ntp suite. has nice feature- easier to set up than xntp,
and will keep track of your hardware clock as well.

1. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

Is there any straightforward way to compare file modification dates
(i.e. which is older/newer) using tcsh built-ins?  I know ksh has the
"file1-nt" file2 and "file1-ot file2" operators for boolean expressions,
but I can't seem to find any relatively simple way of performing the
same comparision in tcsh, other than using sed/awk to extract the two
files' date fields from their "ls -l" listings and attempting to
lexographically compare two strings.

Thanks.
Ben West

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Run Linux Application under FreeBSD

3. sco-list: Re: Efficient method of syncronizing files across a network

4. AIX 4.1

5. How to syncronize a Sparc 20 with Network Time Protocol ?

6. Can't restore network after ifconfig down

7. How to syncronize a Sparc 20 (Solaris 2.4) to a Network Time Protocol Server ?

8. CD Rom / SB16 Installation Error

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

11. CGI: apache canned response

12. For those of you tired of canned distributions...