How can I connect to MY ISP?????

Post by SiuKeun » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:16:53

Hi, Everyone!
I have install the Mandrake 7.0 in my computer, my computer has found the
lan card , but I don't konw how to connect To my ISP! likely the windows98,
it has the dial software to connect to network,But what should I do in
Mandrake 7.0!!  Please Help me do this!!!THX!THX!

How can I connect to MY ISP?????

Post by Steve Co » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:32:08

> Hi, Everyone!
> I have install the Mandrake 7.0 in my computer, my computer has found the
> lan card , but I don't konw how to connect To my ISP! likely the
windows98,
> it has the dial software to connect to network,But what should I do in
> Mandrake 7.0!!  Please Help me do this!!!THX!THX!

Hi, I assume you have a regular external telephone modem to connect to the
Internet (internal modems can be a problem with Linux as they are often
designed to specifically work with Windows only - see www.linmodems.org).

There are a number of ways to do this. probably the most widely used is
configuring the pppd daemon with dialing scripts - this will allow for
connections be any user - either within X-windows or the plain console.

However, for a beginner, probably the best way is to use the gppp or kppp
dialers - these are similar to the Windows dialup networking scripts. You'll
need to configure these according to the specifications of your ISP.

If the connection is a single machine through a DSL/cable modem etc, through
the network card, then all you'll need to do is set up networking to set the
default route to this device, and set the DNS settings via the resolv.conf
file. This can be done with something like the linuxconf tool.

How can I connect to MY ISP?????

Post by Russ Grim » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 10:58:11

> Hi, Everyone!
> I have install the Mandrake 7.0 in my computer, my computer has found the
> lan card , but I don't konw how to connect To my ISP! likely the windows98,
> it has the dial software to connect to network,But what should I do in
> Mandrake 7.0!!  Please Help me do this!!!THX!THX!

Open a terminal window and type   kppp &

then set up your dialer.

1. Connecting to isp with linux, letting windows connect through linux

Dear friends,
        I have my own computer using SuSE Linux 5.3 connecting to the net
over a modem.  I also have a windows computer that i built for my parents
downstairs.  I have ethernet cards installed in both with a crossover cable
between them.  What do I need to set up on the linux computer to let the
windows computer use the net?

                                    Thank you,
                                        Michael Painter

p.s. Please email me a reply also

2. Halt in Classroom

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. HELP: 2>&1 > /dev/null != 2>&- > /dev/null ???

5. Audio Chat with Linux

6. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

7. Unix Security Job SIG?

8. CGI: apache canned response

9. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

10. Canned "ping"

11. Any Canned Class code?

12. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?