NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

Post by D. Gerasimat » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:36:49



I have 6 NFS mounts in my /etc/fstab. I am using the syntax and options:

fileserv1:/ftp /ftp nfs async,auto,bg,dev,exec,hard,intr,nfsvers=3,nolock,nouser
,rw,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 0 0

In this case fileserv1 is a Network Appliance box running NFS over TCP.
There are about 20 clients. For some reason, when a client is rebooted it
may or may not mount all of the entries in the /etc/fstab. It is not any
particular client that does it. (They all do sometimes, and sometimes
not.) If I go in after boot and do a "mount -a" then all the NFS
filesystems are mounted properly.

Why aren't they all consistently being mounted at boot?

Dimitri

 
 
 

NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

Post by D. Gerasimat » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:19:47


To follow-up my own post, when I change "bg" to "fg" in the fstab
then I get an error message when the mounts fail. It is:

mount: mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

However, portmap starts up just fine and rpcinfo -p shows it running on
the client and server. I also have portmap allowed in /etc/hosts.allow
and no firewall is running.

Any ideas why it behaves like this at boot, but not when run from the
command line?

Dimitri

 
 
 

NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

Post by Timothy Murph » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:10:00



> However, portmap starts up just fine and rpcinfo -p shows it running on
> the client and server. I also have portmap allowed in /etc/hosts.allow
> and no firewall is running.

What happens if you say "service nfs restart"?

--
Timothy Murphy  

tel: +353-86-233 6090
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

 
 
 

NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

Post by D. Gerasimat » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 02:31:33





>> However, portmap starts up just fine and rpcinfo -p shows it running on
>> the client and server. I also have portmap allowed in /etc/hosts.allow
>> and no firewall is running.

>What happens if you say "service nfs restart"?

I'm not running an NFS server. The problem is on the client. Why would I
start the server? The server is a Network Appliance. Help me see what
you're getting at.

Dimitri

 
 
 

NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

Post by Timothy Murph » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:10:30



>>> However, portmap starts up just fine and rpcinfo -p shows it running on
>>> the client and server. I also have portmap allowed in /etc/hosts.allow
>>> and no firewall is running.

>>What happens if you say "service nfs restart"?

> I'm not running an NFS server. The problem is on the client. Why would I
> start the server? The server is a Network Appliance. Help me see what
> you're getting at.

Apologies, I probably didn't read your post carefully enough.

All I have on my nfs client is a line in /etc/fstab
==================================================
helen:/archive          /mnt/helen              nfs     intr
==================================================
together with the line
==================================================
ALL: helen ALL
==================================================
in /etc/hosts.allow, and the entry
==================================================
./hosts:192.168.1.2     helen.murphy.ie         helen
==================================================
in /etc/hosts .

I'm not suggesting this is correct,
and certainly not that it is the only way.
But it seems to work all the time,
with a very ancient machine as server.

--
Timothy Murphy  

tel: +353-86-233 6090
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

 
 
 

1. NFS mount not writable on Red Hat linux

We have SCO 5.05, and want to mount a directory that's on a Red Hat Linux
release 5.2 (Apollo), Kernel 2.0.36 Intel P2 box.

The directory is "/x/y", so I put an entry in /etc/exports (in Linux) as
follows:

        /X/Y

Permissions are, for now, 777 on both directory "X" and directory "Y".  

I successfully mounted the directory (as root) from SCO.  However, while I can
read the files in directory "Y" from SCO, I can't write any.

SCOAdmin reports that the mounted directory is read-write, and it shows as 777
when I do a listing of my root volume.  It does show as an unknown UID and GID
(just shows the number) however.

EXPORTFS on Red Hat doesn't show anything.  Is this normal for RH?

What do I have to do to make the remote directory writable?  Thanks!

Ting Barrow

2. Solaris 2.4 Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM)

3. NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.

4. Is there some kind of "graphical" trafshow?

5. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

6. Internet Presence Provider

7. Mounting NTFS on Red Hat Linux 8.0

8. FTP problems with AIX4.3

9. mount from Red Hat 8.0 to HP-UX 11.00

10. Red Hat 6.2 can't mount NFS shares

11. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

12. Automatically mounting CD-ROM at boot with Red Hat?

13. New to Red Hat: CDROM does not mount.