no ppp0.pid

Post by Chad Cunningha » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I just finished putting linux on a thinkpad 600 for a friend. When I
investigated why my ppp-off script didn't work, I found that there is no
ppp0.pid in /var/run. I did a search, and it's not to be found. I assume
this is due to the fact that it's a pcmcia modem. Maybe. What other file
could this be in, or is there an alternate way to kill the connection,
other than unpluggin the modem...

Chad Cunningham
Calculus&Mathematica Mentor Slavemaster and Website Dictator
http://socrates.mps.ohio-state.edu

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is pretty neat."

no ppp0.pid

Post by Daniel Fra » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> this is due to the fact that it's a pcmcia modem. Maybe. What other file
> could this be in, or is there an alternate way to kill the connection,
> other than unpluggin the modem...

        My ppp-off script has this line:

kill -INT `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`

        You could try this and if it works, you should put this in a script
file.

--
http://members.xoom.com/danchapo

no ppp0.pid

Post by Erik Ra » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I just finished putting linux on a thinkpad 600 for a friend. When I
> investigated why my ppp-off script didn't work, I found that there is no
> ppp0.pid in /var/run. I did a search, and it's not to be found. I assume
> this is due to the fact that it's a pcmcia modem. Maybe. What other file
> could this be in, or is there an alternate way to kill the connection,
> other than unpluggin the modem...

I have come across a similar problem(though not due to PCMCIA), and i check the PID of pppd, and kill that.....

1. ppp0.pid disappears :(

Hi,

I've running Redhat 6.1 on P120 and have been using minicom to dial to my
ISP. Once I'm connected to my ISP I use the command:
pppd -d /dev/ttyS0 38400 &
to start up the PPP daemon for the connection
Now if I type ifconfig, I get the proper response with lo, eth0 and ppp0
showing all signs of life.
But when after I've been using the net for a while, I decide to quit the
connection and type:
ppp-off
there is an error message saying that ppp0.pid cannot be founf to kill.
When the connection is first established, if I go to the /var/run directory,
ppp0.pid can be found, but it just disappears during the connection at some
point in time :(

Does anyone have any clues to give me as to why this may be occuring?

Thanks in advance,
John :^)

2. Linux + Win95 dual-boot

3. PPP-OFF can't find ppp0.pid

4. Sound in 2.2.0, etc......

5. PPP-OFF cant find ppp0.pid

6. Looking for Linux CDs --- poor college student

7. where is ppp0.pid?

8. NIS Client Deny Access?

9. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

10. can't locate module ppp0:0 ... ppp0:49

11. How to find children PID's given parent PID?

12. NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

13. cygwin, unix pid to windows pid