Linux and Novell

Post by Mark T Merca » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Just curious if anyone out there has ever spliced in a Linux
box on a Novell Netware (v3.21?) LAN... I do not know very
much about Novell, and would be very thankful for any assistance
regarding the configuration.

ALL of the other nodes are Win95 boxes.  I'm the only Linux guy
here -- and it's a lonely world *grin*

Thanks,
Mark.

 Adtech Multimedia, Inc.       http://www.adtechmultimedia.com
 System Administrator

Linux and Novell

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Just curious if anyone out there has ever spliced in a Linux
> box on a Novell Netware (v3.21?) LAN... I do not know very
> much about Novell, and would be very thankful for any assistance
> regarding the configuration.

> ALL of the other nodes are Win95 boxes.  I'm the only Linux guy
> here -- and it's a lonely world *grin*

Yup.  linux is able to act as both a novell client and server, for both
printers and files.  In the kernel, enable ipx networking and ncpfs
filesytstem. Then, get the ipx_utils package to set up ipx netowrking.  For
client setup, get the ncpfs package (includes programs to mount novell
shares, or even the entire server, as well as printing utils).  For server
setup, check out the mars program.  All avilable on sunsite.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

Linux and Novell

Post by Wolfgang Ganzer » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Just curious if anyone out there has ever spliced in a Linux
> box on a Novell Netware (v3.21?) LAN... I do not know very
> much about Novell, and would be very thankful for any assistance
> regarding the configuration.

> ALL of the other nodes are Win95 boxes.  I'm the only Linux guy
> here -- and it's a lonely world *grin*

> Thanks,
> Mark.

> --

>  Adtech Multimedia, Inc.       http://www.adtechmultimedia.com
>  System Administrator

Hello,
 you should read the IPX-HOWTO distributed on several sunsite mirrors.
There is some explanation how to configure a linux box as a Novell
client (NCP) or as Novell server emulator (up to 3.12). We use the
mars-nwe package to emulate a Novell 3.12 server and it works quiet
satisfactory but up to now we have no support for long file names in
the  emulation mode on the linux box accessed from a Windows NT 4.0
client.

Good luck

Wolfgang