Q. How can I activate cahnge in resolv.conf without rebooting

Q. How can I activate cahnge in resolv.conf without rebooting

Post by john » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

With RedHat 5.1 and Sun Solaris 2.5.1, I have noticed that if the ip
address of the nameserver is changed in the /etc/resolv.conf file that
it is necessary to reboot before the change is activated.

If you don't reboot then the new value is used by the nslookup
command, but name server queuries still go to the nameserver on the
old ip address.

No doubt there is some way to activate the change at the command line,
could you let me know what is.

Thanks

John
--
E-Mail Address witheld to avoid spam mail
Do not send Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail to me

Hint change each (dot) to one .

Post by Francis GALIEGU » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> With RedHat 5.1 and Sun Solaris 2.5.1, I have noticed that if the ip
> address of the nameserver is changed in the /etc/resolv.conf file that
> it is necessary to reboot before the change is activated.

> If you don't reboot then the new value is used by the nslookup
> command, but name server queuries still go to the nameserver on the
> old ip address.

> No doubt there is some way to activate the change at the command line,
> could you let me know what is.

Just restart named

/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart

--
        fg

"Computers are like air conditioners - they stop working properly when
you open Windows"

1. Reload /etc/resolv.conf w/out reboot & odd natd behavior

Hello all...does anyone know if you can have the system reload resolv.conf
w/out restarting?

Also, I suspect the follwoing circumstance is maybe a bug:

If I comment out natd start inf in /etc/rc.conf and start it by hand via a
script, none of my client machines

can get out to the internet.

If I leave rc.conf natd startup info intact, restart the machine, kill
dhclient and natd then restart them by hand or via my script everything
works ok.

In otherwords, I have to use rc.conf to start natd.

I am running 4.4 release.

Thx much,

JSS

2. unix job

3. No resolv.conf after reboot

4. Help config Apache for *.sit downloads

5. search path in resolv.conf overwritten by the hostname after reboot

6. send a mail to more than one person

7. resolv.conf causes delays after reboot

8. making a shell script a process group leader

9. dhclient.conf to add dns in resolv.conf

10. ppp.conf and resolv.conf for bellsouth.net needed

11. resolv.conf and rc.conf

12. dhcpd.conf, resolv.conf and the search directive

13. named.conf "option forwarder" vs. resolv.conf "nameserver"?