Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

Post by Scott Flemin » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've followed instructions in the ethernet HOW-TO for configuring Linux
(redhat 5.2) to share w/ windows machines. So far, I'm able to smbclient to
all the windows shares, but when accessing the Linux machine from network
nieghboorhood, I cannot access the server without it prompting me for a
password.. I don't have something configured correctly, and need some info
on where to set the proper values to allow windows to browse my linux
machine.

In the smb.conf file, I get really confused with all the options.
How can I share my /user/doc folder so that i can access the files
contained within from my windows machine?

Thanks for the help, in advance!

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I've followed instructions in the ethernet HOW-TO for configuring Linux
>(redhat 5.2) to share w/ windows machines. So far, I'm able to smbclient to
>all the windows shares, but when accessing the Linux machine from network
>nieghboorhood, I cannot access the server without it prompting me for a
>password.. I don't have something configured correctly, and need some info
>on where to set the proper values to allow windows to browse my linux
>machine.

[...]

NT uses encrypted passwords, SAMBA per default unencrypted ones.
Change the SAMBA options (see Encryption.txt in the SAMBA sources).

Michael