REQ: Info for local linux server

Post by Wagner O » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I have been administering a Linux box for several years now. In the last year
I have lost my direct internet connection and am going to attempt to use my
linux machine for other, localized tasks.

I own/operate a mac/pc based design firm. I would like to begin using the
Linux machine (which has more disk space alone than all the graphics stations
put together) as a server which would in turn allow me to archive to tape as
the Linux machine has a tape drive.

My machines are networked on a simple network consisting of twisted-pair
cabling and an Asante hub.

What would be my best bet plan of action as far as setting my Linux machine
up as a server for the mac and pc machines? To complicate things, I use diald
on the linux machine for my "transparent modem connection". I run TCP protocols
on the mac machines, so I figure it wouldn't be that hard to make them see
each other.

My guess is that I will have to use the linux machine as not only a router to
the internet through the dialup, but somehow make telnet and ftp sessions
available to the macs and pc machines. (would this require running named,
etc?) The linux machine is now set up pretty well as an internet machine (at
least as much as it can be with an analog line and a static ppp account!)

Is there a particular Linux HOWTO that details this setup or does anyone
do something similar?

Thanks for any input,

Mike Wagner

|                                                                      |
|         "A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work."         |
|      http://shire.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Mike  Obligatory Dead Content!       |
       We're spinning on some granite we like to call a planet.

Post by Henry Cros » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have been administering a Linux box for several years now. In the last year
> I have lost my direct internet connection and am going to attempt to use my
> linux machine for other, localized tasks.

> I own/operate a mac/pc based design firm. I would like to begin using the
> Linux machine (which has more disk space alone than all the graphics stations
> put together) as a server which would in turn allow me to archive to tape as
> the Linux machine has a tape drive.

> My machines are networked on a simple network consisting of twisted-pair
> cabling and an Asante hub.

> What would be my best bet plan of action as far as setting my Linux machine
> up as a server for the mac and pc machines? To complicate things, I use diald
> on the linux machine for my "transparent modem connection". I run TCP protocols
> on the mac machines, so I figure it wouldn't be that hard to make them see
> each other.

> My guess is that I will have to use the linux machine as not only a router to
> the internet through the dialup, but somehow make telnet and ftp sessions
> available to the macs and pc machines. (would this require running named,
> etc?) The linux machine is now set up pretty well as an internet machine (at
> least as much as it can be with an analog line and a static ppp account!)

> Is there a particular Linux HOWTO that details this setup or does anyone
> do something similar?

Use Samba for the PC's file & print service.
I don't know what Mac's need but I know their supported by some package.
--
H.Cross

Work:     | OS/2 - Best DOS emulator in an armored OS
Play:     | DOS and it's graphical menu system. (Windows)
Learn:    | U of NIX (LINUX rocks!)