Add user problem

Post by Neil » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have been trying to add a new user to my Linux system, but when I
attempt to set the password, it gives me a message "can't lock password
file, try again later". I can not log in under this username, and I am
assuming that has something to do with this error. I am fairly new to
administration on Linux systems, so any help would be most appreciated.

Neil

--

Network Administrator/
Jedi Knight Extraordinaire

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Add user problem

Post by karl_j.. » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Just a guess, but check if you're editing /etc/passwd in another virtual
terminal or something like that. fuser /etc/passwd might tell you
something too. Does rebooting the system fix it?

Quote:> I have been trying to add a new user to my Linux system, but when I
> attempt to set the password, it gives me a message "can't lock
password
> file, try again later". I can not log in under this username, and I am
> assuming that has something to do with this error. I am fairly new to
> administration on Linux systems, so any help would be most
appreciated.

> Neil

> --

> Network Administrator/
> Jedi Knight Extraordinaire

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Add user problem

Post by Ricky J. Seth » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

You might not be root... if you don't have permissions, then it'll complain
similarly.  Try loggin in as root or sudo'ing over first...

Adios,

Rick.

Quote:> I have been trying to add a new user to my Linux system, but when I
> attempt to set the password, it gives me a message "can't lock password
> file, try again later". I can not log in under this username, and I am
> assuming that has something to do with this error. I am fairly new to
> administration on Linux systems, so any help would be most appreciated.

> Neil

> --

> Network Administrator/
> Jedi Knight Extraordinaire

1. Sysadmsh Adding User Problem!

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I am using SCO 3.2v4.2.  When trying to add new users in the sysadmsh,
after selecting modify default and adding all the account information, I
should normally be asked if I want to review the changes, accept, or
cancel (something like that).  Well now when I say accept to add the new
user, I get the following error message:

An error occured when creating use: jessicaj

Cannot update subsystem authorization file(s)

Please choose one of : Correct   Retry   Abort

When I choose to retry then all works fine, but I am concerned with the
error message.  It has started appearing recently (last month or so).

Any ideas???

Jeromie Golab

2. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.19)

3. Add user problem

4. A way to limit concurrent connections per domain?

5. nis+ add user problem

6. HELP! w/ automount or amd: how to automount "directly"?

7. adding users problem

8. : LaTeX2e doing other than US words/characters?

9. Adding users problem

10. adding users problem

11. Add user that can add users?

12. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

13. Q: Howto: 1) Add/Del user, 2) Alias user address?