How to determine a mac address on a remote computer with only ip address known?

How to determine a mac address on a remote computer with only ip address known?

Post by Neil Wils » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Greetings all,

How would I go about finding the MAC address of a given ip address,
from a remote computer. (ie: I cant physically get to the machine to
do a ipconfig but must have the mac addy.)

How to determine a mac address on a remote computer with only ip address known?

Post by Peter Edd » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

If the machine's on your local net, you can use arp:

arp | grep machinename

Otherwise, I don't know

> How would I go about finding the MAC address of a given ip address,
> from a remote computer. (ie: I cant physically get to the machine to
> do a ipconfig but must have the mac addy.)

How to determine a mac address on a remote computer with only ip address known?

Post by epadi » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

ARP is definitely the best way. You could try to ping the machine first
so that  your server does an ARP request first. Another way may be to
try:

tcpdump -e src <IP address>

This should show you link header infro for all packets coming from the
<ip address>

> If the machine's on your local net, you can use arp:

> arp | grep machinename

> Otherwise, I don't know

> > How would I go about finding the MAC address of a given ip address,
> > from a remote computer. (ie: I cant physically get to the machine to
> > do a ipconfig but must have the mac addy.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Determining IP address from MAC address

Hi,

   I have a MAC address for a given system and need to be able to
programatically determine it's IP address for use with a TCP-IP based
application.  Clearly, the ip address might be in the arp table for ced
host but the problem occurs when it is not.  The options as I see it
are

1) broadcast ping (programmatically horrible as every host on the
network will respond)
2) inverse arp lookup

My questions are:

1) Does linux support the inverse arp protocol, as various resources
I've seen indicate it is primarily used for frame relay?  If so could
you direct me to the appropriate resources as I've been unable to
determine if linux supports this.

2) What other methods could I use to obtain this information?

Regards
Ian Neal

2. osr2

3. from known MAC address to find IP address

4. 3com 3C905

5. WANTED: pingmac <IP ADDR> which returns <MAC ADDRESS of IP ADDRESS>

6. Compile time flags -- Is there a comprehensive list?

7. dynamic ip address - how to get to know my ip address?

8. Linux on HP 425e

9. IP Masquerading with IP Address and Mac Address Restrictions

10. Binding a single IP Address to two different MAC addresses

11. Find a remote computer's mac address?

12. MAC Address From IP Address

13. change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?