Capping the upload on a Linux IP Masquerading firewall

Capping the upload on a Linux IP Masquerading firewall

Post by Leon Versteege » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Linux IP Masquerading firewall that is connected to a Cable Modem
and a 16 ports HUB. The upload (from me to the Internet) of my cable modem
is 20 KB/s. I share the Internet connection with 10 other people. I am the
only one who plays online games ALOT (especially Quake 2). Recently I found
that other people are uploading stuff, while being unaware of their upload.
My ping in Q2 then rises to new heights (300, while 50 is normal). So now I
want to cap the upload speed of everyone on my network but me to let's say
10 KB/s.
How do I do this? I haven't been able to find a program or anything about
how this could be done. I'm using ipchains for my firewall.

I surely hope someone can help me. Tanx in advance,
Leon Versteegen.

Post by Jim Westbroo » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a Linux IP Masquerading firewall that is connected to a Cable Modem
> and a 16 ports HUB. The upload (from me to the Internet) of my cable modem
> is 20 KB/s. I share the Internet connection with 10 other people. I am the
> only one who plays online games ALOT (especially Quake 2). Recently I found
> that other people are uploading stuff, while being unaware of their upload.
> My ping in Q2 then rises to new heights (300, while 50 is normal). So now I
> want to cap the upload speed of everyone on my network but me to let's say
> 10 KB/s.
> How do I do this? I haven't been able to find a program or anything about
> how this could be done. I'm using ipchains for my firewall.

I'm not sure that there is a way to do that without having significant impact
on all of the traffic from the other stations.  However, if you replace the hub
with a like-rated switch, you'll all benefit from the bottleneck reduction.

JimW

1. Backup scripts, IP firewalling and IP masquerading

I posted some backup scripts I wrote on http://home.earthlink.net/~simpson3.
These scripts dump a set of filesystems to a large SCSI tape drive (such as
a DAT) drive using the dump(8) and restore(8) programs that come with Linux.

Also, on that page is a description of IP firewalling and IP masquerading.
A sample script to set these up is contained there too.
    Scott

2. can run lilo

3. Kernel versions, IP firewalls, IP masquerading and stability

4. Compaq Professional workstations/prolinas

5. IP Firewall and IP Masquerading Problems

6. Umm....... Hello.

7. IP Masquerading: dynamic IP assignment beyond the firewall?

8. Q: Bernstein's pty

9. Solution for Linux IP Masquerade users to run Warftpd behind a firewall! =)

10. IP masquerading/firewalling with a Sparc running Linux?

11. linux IP Masquerading firewall problems

12. Help with Linux firewall and IP Masquerading

13. IP Masquerading Between Two Linux Firewalls