Linux-Router: pppd dialing on local connect & bootup & route

Linux-Router: pppd dialing on local connect & bootup & route

Post by Andre Dietishe » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I have installed a Linux-Machine as a Dial-out-Router for a small LAN:

I use -SuSE 6.0
           - Kernel 2.2.1
           - pppd 2.3.5 (dialing on demand)
           - resolv.conf: order hosts bind
           - hosts defining all machines on the local net

and the problem is that pppd dials out when I connect to the router
(same machine that has the modem attached to) using Telnet, Browser,
Mailer etc.
It does the same whe the pppd-startscript is put in the boot-sequence
and when I have a look at the routing-table.
I guessed it to be a Lookup to the ISP's DNS so I fixed
/etc/resolv.conf (oder hosts bind) & /etc/hosts (all LAN-machines
defined in it) but the problem did not disappear.

Anyone any idea how to fix that??

Post by Leopold Toetsc » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Hi!

>I have installed a Linux-Machine as a Dial-out-Router for a small LAN:

==Snip
>and the problem is that pppd dials out when I connect to the router
>(same machine that has the modem attached to) using Telnet, Browser,
>Mailer etc.
==Snip
>I guessed it to be a Lookup to the ISP's DNS

Yes you guessed propably right
Setup a caching name server
- look at the DNS howto
- or on my site
http://www.toetsch.at/de/tips/index.html?linux/99/07_5.htm
for an example with Bind 4.9.7.

It helped for me.

Also you could get HTML-Mail with some external IMG-Urls in them. If you
want to read these, diald will dial your ISP. (I'm filtering my mail now)

leo

Linux-Router: pppd dialing on local connect & bootup & route

Post by Andre Dietishe » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanx!!! I was on your site (nice!!) and I'll give it a try (as soon
as I read the DNS-HOWTO in order to unterstand what's going on).