Dual NIC cards on Firewall with mailserver

Dual NIC cards on Firewall with mailserver

Post by Chri » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:14:16

I have a SuSE 8.2 Linux box with 2 interfaces. One is configured with an
ip address for the private internal network (192.168....) The other is
attached to a DSL connection going out into the wider world.

There is a firewall on the machine allowing http, SMTP and IMAPS. I have
Apache 2 and Postfix installed on it.

I can connect to the Mail server internally if I address the account on
the internal IP address and I can connect from outside, over the
internet, if I address it on the external ip interface. However, I have
a laptop which I sometimes connect to internally and sometimes
externally. I want to be able to put in the external ip address and it
still be able to connect to the mail server when I am in the office.
However I cannot be on the internal network (the 192.168... range) and
connect via the internal Interface of the machine to the external
address range. This means I cannot collect mail from "inside" without
continually changing the mail account server settings.

Am I trying to do something I shouldn't! Should I try to remove so many
services from one shared box? Is this an easy problem to overcome? So
many questions. Any pointers appreciated.

Chris

1. dual NIC for linux firewall? Help please.

I am looking for help with linux setup for making my machine into a
firewall/gateway.

The system is a AST Premia 4/66d, running Slackware 1.1.59

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Jeff Poretsky
Systems Engineer, I-Net, Inc.

2. Is there graphics.h in CC- unix compiler???

3. Red Hat 7.3 Dual Nic Firewall Issue

4. What distro does Linus Torvalds use?

5. PCI NIC card in same box as ISA NIC card ?

6. (Q) Desperately seeking solution to strange problem

7. dual port NIC card

8. SLS 1.03, is it missing something?

9. Dual NIC card installation

10. Dual NIC CARD HELP