BIND DNS (Newbie question)

Post by Bruce Fyf » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:10:45

I am coming from a Windows background workign to get a Manrake Linux 8.1 box
working as a DNS server.  As a afterthought I wanted to use it as a backup
DNS server for my Windows 2000 DNS server using dynamic DNS.  Whenever I try
to configure teh named.conf file to be a slave to my Windows DNS server I
cannot start the named process.  When I remove the entry in the named.conf
the process starts fine and seems to work for normal resolution.  Any tips
out there about getting this configuration to work?  TIA,

Bruce

BIND DNS (Newbie question)

Post by Jem Berke » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 01:06:11

Quote:> I am coming from a Windows background workign to get a Manrake Linux
> 8.1 box working as a DNS server.  As a afterthought I wanted to use it
> as a backup DNS server for my Windows 2000 DNS server using dynamic
> DNS.  Whenever I try to configure teh named.conf file to be a slave to
> my Windows DNS server I cannot start the named process.  When I remove
> the entry in the named.conf the process starts fine and seems to work
> for normal resolution.  Any tips out there about getting this
> configuration to work?  TIA,

Before you dive into BIND, you might want to consider djbdns instead.

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

BIND has had tons of security problems over the years, and is also a
relatively inefficient piece of software.

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.pc-tools.net/

BIND DNS (Newbie question)

Post by Jan Reilin » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 04:49:45

> I am coming from a Windows background workign to get a Manrake Linux 8.1 box
> working as a DNS server.  As a afterthought I wanted to use it as a backup
> DNS server for my Windows 2000 DNS server using dynamic DNS.  Whenever I try
> to configure teh named.conf file to be a slave to my Windows DNS server I
> cannot start the named process.  When I remove the entry in the named.conf
> the process starts fine and seems to work for normal resolution.  Any tips
> out there about getting this configuration to work?  TIA,

Can you give us a little bit more information, like:
- What version of bind are you running?
- What error message(s) do you get?
- Do you have logfiles?
- If yes, what do they tell you?
- Have you bought the O'Reilly book "DNS & BIND"?
- If yes, have you read it?
- What does your /etc/named.conf look like?

Regards, Jan

--
Dutch Security Information Network
http://www.dsinet.org/

BIND DNS (Newbie question)

Post by Kevi » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:45:17

> I am coming from a Windows background workign to get a Manrake Linux 8.1
> box
> working as a DNS server.  As a afterthought I wanted to use it as a backup
> DNS server for my Windows 2000 DNS server using dynamic DNS.  Whenever I
> try to configure teh named.conf file to be a slave to my Windows DNS
> server I
> cannot start the named process.  When I remove the entry in the named.conf
> the process starts fine and seems to work for normal resolution.  Any tips
> out there about getting this configuration to work?  TIA,

> Bruce

Is your Win2k DNS set to allow the bind server to be a secondary/slave?  You
need to make sure you don't have it set to only allow secure connections
and I would also configure it to specifically allow only the bind server as
a secondary.

I'm new to linux, but if you think about it.  It's probably trying to
connect to the win2k server when it starts and it can not connect so that
might be preventing it from starting.  Just a thought.

-Kevin

BIND DNS (Newbie question)

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 05:14:29

> BIND has had tons of security problems over the years, and is also a
> relatively inefficient piece of software.

bind-9.x is a thorough rewrite of the package and has not shown the
security vulnerabilities seen in earlier versions.  I've not had a problem
with performance or resource usage here (I run it on a 5x86/133 with 32MB
under NetBSD-1.6) but admitedly I probably don't strain it too much.

--

1. Bind, DNS newbie question

Hi!

I'm really new to bind, dns etc..

I've set up a caching DNS server which is used by all clients on my home
lan. Everything works great, it's just that I'm wondering if Bind is
able to do all it's queries to my ISP dns server instead of the root
servers.

If I've understood this right, my ISP dns server do caching also,
caching all name lookup's all other callers do. These cached entries I
think would be much smarter to access.

I tried to put the ISP DNS as a root server, but it didn't work. Can
anyone give me some advice, or just an answer telling me it's not
possible.

/Mikael Kanstrup

2. Installing Ethernet Card (501-1881) on SparcStation 2

3. Newbie: DNS/Bind problem with adding zone

4. ATI RAGE 128

5. Newbie Bind DNS help needed!

6. Does process accounting work right?

7. BIND 8/9-specific features: Good online reference or buy "DNS & BIND"?

8. 'mount 2nd volume' problem on backups

9. Using Win2000 DNS with BIND DNS

10. Setting up a DNS (BIND) which forwards dns requests ...

11. dns/bind question

12. BIND/DNS question

13. DNS - Bind question.