pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."

pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."

Post by John She » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

any help would be greatly appreciated.  after it connects to a
land-rover, it immediately disconnects with the above in the
message log.  thanks.
pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."
--
http://www.ccim.org/~jshen/

Post by Tim Holm » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

: any help would be greatly appreciated.  after it connects to a
: land-rover, it immediately disconnects with the above in the
: message log.  thanks.
: pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."
: --
: http://www.ccim.org/~jshen/

Same here!  What does it mean?

Tim Holmes

Post by Michal Ostrows » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

> any help would be greatly appreciated.  after it connects to a
> land-rover, it immediately disconnects with the above in the
> message log.  thanks.
> pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."
> --
> http://www.ccim.org/~jshen/

I had the same problems once - it turned out that the cause was that my
ISP was using PAP/CHAP on the line.  So... talk to your ISP and see if
that's what they're using.  If they are the docs that come with pppd do
a pretty good job of explaining how to set it up.

Michal Ostrowski

Post by Brian K. Micha » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

>: any help would be greatly appreciated.  after it connects to a
>: land-rover, it immediately disconnects with the above in the
>: message log.  thanks.
>: pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."
>: --
>: http://www.ccim.org/~jshen/

>Same here!  What does it mean?

>Tim Holmes

RTFM.  It probably means that the remote end isn't starting their pppd.
The characters are echoed back with the last bit stripped, so your local
pppd thinks it doesn't have an eight bit connection.

--
Brian Michalk   |No, the  |AWPI, home of *the* online magazine about Austin.

Post by Gene Caldwel » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

> any help would be greatly appreciated.  after it connects to a
> land-rover, it immediately disconnects with the above in the
> message log.  thanks.
> pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."
> --
> http://www.ccim.org/~jshen/

I got this recently when starting a new account.  Turned out the ISP had
entered a different password than we agreed on.  Once I fixed that, all
was well.
--

pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."

Post by Pete Harla » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >: any help would be greatly appreciated.  after it connects to a
> >: land-rover, it immediately disconnects with the above in the
> >: message log.  thanks.
> >: pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."
> >Same here!  What does it mean?
> RTFM.  It probably means that the remote end isn't starting their pppd.
> The characters are echoed back with the last bit stripped, so your local
> pppd thinks it doesn't have an eight bit connection.

One simple reason that the remote end might not start its pppd is if
your
password is wrong.  I got this (often confusing) error message
under those circumstances when getting a Win 3.1 machine connected to
a Linux box.

--
Pete Harlan

pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."

Post by wong man fa » Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:00

Or perhaps you have not get the correct login prompt, I've come across this
satuation too. Good luck.
Wong

Post by David Warre » Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:00

> > >: any help would be greatly appreciated.  after it connects to a
> > >: land-rover, it immediately disconnects with the above in the
> > >: message log.  thanks.
> > >: pppd dies, "receiving line is not 8-bit clean..."

Don't know if applies:  If you have to connect through a terminal server
it usually has escape characters which will cause this.  I have to
specify 'terminal download' to the terminal server before 'c
slirp.server.foo.edu'...

-David.

1. PPPD: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"

I have my Linux box configured to use ppp to dial into the network at work,
and it's fine.   However, I need to use a regular "consumer" ISP instead, so
I made new scripts and such.  DHCP wasn't required with the work dialin but
is required for the ISP.   The ISP's nameservers are listed in
/etc/resolv.conf too.

After dialing and connecting and parsing the login and password info,  I get
the following messages in the ppp.log:

Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Connection terminated.
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Nov 18 19:17:07 doorstop pppd[583]: Exit.

What does all this mean?  I can connect to this particular ISP using a Win98
box and a Mac.  What's somewhat interesting is that I can't connect to them
using NT.

When I connect using minicom and enter the username and password, I get to
their old shell menu.  The ISP used to offer shell accounts but they've
stopped that recently and haven't gotten rid of the menus.

Is this an authentication problem?  The ISP doesn't know about OSes other
than Win3.1/95/98 and Mac, so I'm not sure what kind of authentication is
required.  I think they host on some kind of Unix, tho'.

Clues?

Andy Peters
Sr Electrical Engineer
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
apeters (at) noao.edu

"Creation Science" is an oxymoron.

2. Help: Problem GUSMax - Linux

3. "receive serial link is not 8-bit clean" error

4. telnet/ftp/http problems - related?

5. pppd problem - "Not 8-bit clean"

6. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

7. pppd problems - "Not 8-bit clean"

8. Linux setup ...

9. PPP connection fails - "not 8-bit clean"

10. ppp problem: no "recvd [LCP ConfReq" link not 8-bit clean HELP!

11. Dial-in to worldnet.att.net: "not 8-bit clean"

12. PPP connection "not 8-bit clean"?

13. pppd: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean