chrome questions

Post by Hact » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 00:13:27

I run two browsers, Firefox 3.6.13 and Chrome 10.0.648.82 dev.  I use
Firefox if a site doesn't deal well with Chrome -- in the last few days,
that's eBay.  Also if I need to scope out Javascript permissions, that's
much easier in FF.  But C wins hand down for memory management and CPU
use.

However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
maxed out at 8 GiB).  Chrome trying though, makes the system thrash like
crazy and drives the load up over 20.  The system becomes unusable,
taking several minutes to respond to a keypress.  It takes 30-40 minutes
to resume normalcy.  I've thought of several solutions (listed in order
of preference), but I don't know if any of them are possible.

1. Chrome postpones loading further tabs until the load drops below
   (say) 4.

2. Each tab loads with a random delay, say between 0 and 120
   seconds.

3. Chrome crashes all tabs, replacing the contents with the "Oh
   snap!  Something went wrong while displaying this webpage." message,
   and only loads it when I hit F5.  Chrome doesn't have a "Refresh all
   tabs" command, so this would either take a while or be an "as needed"
   procedure.

Any ideas?

--

Quote:> A: It's annoying as hell
> Q: Why do most people hate top-posting? -- Lots42 The Library Avenger

       http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

chrome questions

Post by Richard Kettlewel » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 00:41:23

> However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
> refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
> maxed out at 8 GiB).

How many tabs do you have???

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

chrome questions

Post by Hact » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 01:19:18

> > However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
> > refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
> > maxed out at 8 GiB).

> How many tabs do you have???

How does one get an exact number?  Oh, hang on... no, that doesn't work
(shift-esc, "stats for nerds").  Well, say 60 +/- 2.  Every now and then
I copy a bunch of tabs' URLs to my log and close the tab, or worse, a
browser crashes so badly it forgets the list of open tabs and I have to
start fresh with whatever I can recall or extract from the history.

What is the signal for ^Z?  SIGSTOP?

--

       Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Copy me to your .sig!

chrome questions

Post by Tobias Blas » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 02:09:57

Quote:> I run two browsers, Firefox 3.6.13 and Chrome 10.0.648.82 dev.  I use
> Firefox if a site doesn't deal well with Chrome -- in the last few days,
> that's eBay.  Also if I need to scope out Javascript permissions, that's
> much easier in FF.  But C wins hand down for memory management and CPU
> use.

> However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
> refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
> maxed out at 8 GiB).  Chrome trying though, makes the system thrash like
> crazy and drives the load up over 20.  The system becomes unusable,
> taking several minutes to respond to a keypress.  It takes 30-40 minutes
> to resume normalcy.  I've thought of several solutions (listed in order
> of preference), but I don't know if any of them are possible.

> 1. Chrome postpones loading further tabs until the load drops below
>    (say) 4.

> 2. Each tab loads with a random delay, say between 0 and 120
>    seconds.

> 3. Chrome crashes all tabs, replacing the contents with the "Oh
>    snap!  Something went wrong while displaying this webpage." message,
>    and only loads it when I hit F5.  Chrome doesn't have a "Refresh all
>    tabs" command, so this would either take a while or be an "as needed"
>    procedure.

> Any ideas?

You could just choose "Open the Homepage" instead of "Reopen the pages that
were open last" (and then choose "new Tab page" as your homepage)

chrome questions

Post by Richard Kettlewel » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 03:17:23

>>> However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
>>> refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
>>> maxed out at 8 GiB).

>> How many tabs do you have???

> How does one get an exact number?  Oh, hang on... no, that doesn't work
> (shift-esc, "stats for nerds").  Well, say 60 +/- 2.  Every now and then
> I copy a bunch of tabs' URLs to my log and close the tab, or worse, a
> browser crashes so badly it forgets the list of open tabs and I have to
> start fresh with whatever I can recall or extract from the history.

Sounds like you would benefit from using bookmarks.

Quote:> What is the signal for ^Z?  SIGSTOP?

^Z sends SIGTSTP.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

chrome questions

Post by Hact » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 03:49:30

> > However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
> > refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
> > maxed out at 8 GiB).  Chrome trying though, makes the system thrash like
> > crazy and drives the load up over 20.  The system becomes unusable,
> > taking several minutes to respond to a keypress.  It takes 30-40 minutes
> > to resume normalcy.  I've thought of several solutions (listed in order
> > of preference), but I don't know if any of them are possible.
> > Any ideas?

> You could just choose "Open the Homepage" instead of "Reopen the pages that
> were open last" (and then choose "new Tab page" as your homepage)

Cool, how to make the browser forget all the tabs _without_ waiting for
a crash!  Unless that does something other than what I think it does?
Also, the GUI is darn near unusable during Chrome's startup due to all
the thrashing.

I'm writing a script that suspends all the chrome 'renderer' process
(SIGSTOP), then resumes them one at a time (SIGCONT), waiting each time
until the load drops.  Takes longer than say an ad break, but much less
time than before.

--

ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
watermelon in your colon.  Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then

chrome questions

Post by Hact » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 06:37:47

> However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
> refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
> maxed out at 8 GiB).  Chrome trying though, makes the system thrash like
> crazy and drives the load up over 20.  The system becomes unusable,
> taking several minutes to respond to a keypress.  It takes 30-40 minutes
> to resume normalcy.  I've thought of several solutions (listed in order
> of preference), but I don't know if any of them are possible.

> 1. Chrome postpones loading further tabs until the load drops below
>    (say) 4.

Got a workaround.  Takes about 4min on an Athlon 64x2, 8 GiB, ~60 tabs.
YMMV.  It's a poor-man's implementation of #1 above.  If you
want to do it too, add this to your ~/.bashrc :

alias cproc='ps ax | grep "[c]hrome.*renderer" | sed "s/^ *//" | cut -f 1 -d " "'
alias csusp='cproc | xargs kill -STOP'

cstart() {
    maxload=4
    pidtime=3
    sleeptime=5 # it only updates every 5s anyway

    counter=0
    pids=(`cproc | tr '\n' ' '`)

    clrmv="$(tput dl1 ; tput hpa 0)"

    getload() {
        uptime | sed 's/^.*load average: \([^,]*\),.*$/\1/'
    }

    times100() {
        dc -e "$1 100 * p" | sed 's/\..*$//'
    }

    maxload100=$(times100 $maxload)

    waitloop() {
        itll_do=no
        while [ $itll_do = no ] ; do
            load=$(getload)
            load100=$(times100 $load)
            if [ $load100 -lt $maxload100 ] ; then
                itll_do=yes
            else
                echo -n "Load=$load; waiting"
                sleep $sleeptime
                echo -n "$clrmv"
            fi
        done
    }

    if [ $pidcount -eq 0 ] ; then
        echo 'No Chrome processes!'
    else
        echo -n $pidcount Chrome tab groups,
        csusp
        echo " all of which are suspended."

            counter=$((counter+1))
            waitloop
            echo -n "Resuming Chrome tab group $counter/$pidcount (PID $pid): "
            kill -CONT $pid
            echo done.
            sleep $pidtime
        done
    fi

Quote:}

--
The people don't want war, but it is a simple matter to drag the people
along.  The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.

chrome questions

Post by Loki Harfag » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 01:59:31

Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:13:27 -0400, Hactar did cat?:

Quote:> I run two browsers, Firefox 3.6.13 and Chrome 10.0.648.82 dev.  I use
> Firefox if a site doesn't deal well with Chrome -- in the last few days,
> that's eBay.  Also if I need to scope out Javascript permissions, that's
> much easier in FF.  But C wins hand down for memory management and CPU
> use.

> However, Chrome takes forever and a day to start up, because it tries to
> refresh every tab at once, and there's not enough memory for that (I'm
> maxed out at 8 GiB).  Chrome trying though, makes the system thrash like
> crazy and drives the load up over 20.  The system becomes unusable,
> taking several minutes to respond to a keypress.  It takes 30-40 minutes
> to resume normalcy.  I've thought of several solutions (listed in order
> of preference), but I don't know if any of them are possible.

> 1. Chrome postpones loading further tabs until the load drops below
>    (say) 4.

> 2. Each tab loads with a random delay, say between 0 and 120
>    seconds.

> 3. Chrome crashes all tabs, replacing the contents with the "Oh
>    snap!  Something went wrong while displaying this webpage." message,
>    and only loads it when I hit F5.  Chrome doesn't have a "Refresh all
>    tabs" command, so this would either take a while or be an "as needed"
>    procedure.

> Any ideas?

try something like this example:

( WOOP=./beammeup ; rm -r $WOOP ; mkdir $WOOP ; touch  $WOOP/First\ Run ; chrome --user-data-dir=$WOOP ;  rm -r $WOOP )

there are ways (with crossed mounts and more) to even go a few steps beyond but this
should help you to fire up a chrome session in a handful of seconds whether you
have a stuck session or a thousand.
 (At least it works fine on my installations, ATM using Chromium 13.0.752.0)
Play with it, control the 'rm' part to see if there are pieces you'd like to
export/save/control before washing the board.

(and, yes, that's different from the '--incognito' mode)

1. RH install MONO-Chrome?

 I recently got a  486/25 HP-Vectra that I'd like to
 add to my homenet as a  Xterminal...
 I made the install from my main-linux-box as an nfs
 install...
 BUT... I had to move my big color-monitor to get thru
 the  RH5.1 (and 5.2) install program...
 I have a perfectly nice  VGA mono(grey)chrome monitor
 I want to use on that PC...

 The  RH install program uses simple  Red/Blue/...
 colors... BUT  some panels map to  grey-on-grey and I cannot
  read some of the options to know what I am typing...

 Is there some  'switch or option' that I have not found
  to permit doing an install and  selecting no-color,
  or to change the color-pallette... ??

  thanks,

2. what is SYNOPSIS??

3. "Chrome," Linux and the fate of the Web

4. Memory testing utility?

5. what the hell is Chrome?

6. fvmw not recognising by bash_profile

7. 35mm chrome scanners supported?

8. quickcam web setup

9. "extended functionality" = Chrome Effects!

10. Chrome Effects is an attack upon Linux by M$

11. Chrome is being manufactured

12. Yet more worrysome news about Chrome Effects

13. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions