Is there anyway to make samba automatically mount a share??

Is there anyway to make samba automatically mount a share??

Post by Stev » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have a jaz drive hooked up to the samba server which isn't always
mounted.  Is there antway to have samba automatically mount it when
someone tries to browse that share??

steve

Is there anyway to make samba automatically mount a share??

Post by Tom Wilso » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The command I used (Red Hat 5.1) is as follows:

/usr/sbin/smbmount //Server name/resouce name /mount point -c samba -U
userid -p password

I placed this command at the very bottom of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

Tom

:I have a jaz drive hooked up to the samba server which isn't always
:mounted.  Is there antway to have samba automatically mount it when
:someone tries to browse that share??
:
:steve
:
:

Post by Stev » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> The command I used (Red Hat 5.1) is as follows:

> /usr/sbin/smbmount //Server name/resouce name /mount point -c samba -U
> userid -p password

> I placed this command at the very bottom of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

> Tom

THis looks like a linux box trying to mount a 95 drive.   What about the
other way around.  If a 95 machine wants to access a linux drive I want it
to mount automatically.  Is this possible???

Steve

Is there anyway to make samba automatically mount a share??

Post by Phil Hanse » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'm running Redhat 5 with IP masq and the linux box as a gateway with shares
mounted by the win95 machines connected to the linux box.  They are
"automatically" mounted at win 95 bootup when I set the win password the
same as the user on the linux box.  I'm sure there is a very technical
explanation for this, but it worked.  My smb.conf has the shares as
/path/%m.  Also, I made all browseable=no to keep away extraneous stuff.

Phil

Quote:>THis looks like a linux box trying to mount a 95 drive.   What about the

Post by odygo » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > The command I used (Red Hat 5.1) is as follows:

> > /usr/sbin/smbmount //Server name/resouce name /mount point -c samba -U
> > userid -p password

> > I placed this command at the very bottom of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

> > Tom

> THis looks like a linux box trying to mount a 95 drive.   What about the
> other way around.  If a 95 machine wants to access a linux drive I want it
> to mount automatically.  Is this possible???

> Steve

  Steve, in your /etc/smb.conf file scroll down till you get to the shared
section and enter in this data. This should do what you want.

[Linux]
comment = Linux
path = /
browseable = yes
read only = no
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes

Then all you have to do is click on your Network Neighborhood icon, and your
Linux box should be there.

1. Can samba automatically mount an NT shared drive?

Hello,
I am using Samba and all is well! Win95 and WinNT can see the drives no
problem. But how can I get the linux box to automatically mount an NT
shared drive? So far I have beed accessing it manually using smbclient,
but it still does not allow me to mount it.

Thanks for your help
Marcelo

2. "Make" takes its time...

3. How to automatically mount samba shares?

4. What is a good ppp program and where can I find it

5. Automatically Mounting Samba Shares

6. Help EIDE trouble??

7. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

8. Too early i bet ..

9. Samba mounting automatically

10. Automatically mounting smb shares . . .

11. how to make an nfs share not mount automatically at boot ?

12. Automatically mounting a samba drive at boot - how?

13. Mounting NT shares from Linux automatically...