Need help mounting home dir on Win98 w/ Samba

Need help mounting home dir on Win98 w/ Samba

Post by Brian Kend » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I can't figure out how to mount my Linux home directory on my Windows 98
system via Samba.  I have a small home network; my LinuxPPC system is my
router to the outside world via DSL, and it does IP masquerading so that my
other computers are on an internal 10.0.0.x network.  (Internally, the
LinuxPPC box is 10.0.0.1.)

I edited '/etc/smb.conf' to change and uncomment these two lines only:
  hosts allow = 10. 127.
  interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24

Then I ran '/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start'.

But my Windows 98 box can't see my LinuxPPC box in the Network
Neighborhood, and it can't access the Samba share.  I can ssh from Win98 to
my LinuxPPC box just fine, but when I go into Windows Explorer and try to
access '\\10.0.0.1\brian', it says it 'cannot find the file or item.'

What am I doing wrong; how do I set up this share?

--
  ____    |\/|                  Brian Kendig
  \  /\   / ..__.     brian at enchanter net    You are in a maze of twisty

Need help mounting home dir on Win98 w/ Samba

Post by Brian Kend » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I've gotten a little further along, but I'm still stuck.

Quote:>I have a small home network; my LinuxPPC system is my
>router to the outside world via DSL, and it does IP masquerading so that my
>other computers are on an internal 10.0.0.x network.  (Internally, the
>LinuxPPC box is 10.0.0.1.)

>I edited '/etc/smb.conf' to change and uncomment these two lines only:
>  hosts allow = 10. 127.
>  interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24

>Then I ran '/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start'.

I also made sure that my Windows 98 system has 'Client for Microsoft
Networks' installed and set as its primary network logon, and I log on to
Windows with my Linux userid and password (not that it probably matters).

What happens now is that my Linux system shows up in the Network
Neighborhood, but when I try to open it, it says:

  You must supply a password to make this connection:
  Resource: \\FROTZ\IPC$
  Password:

It won't accept any password I give it, and I don't know who 'IPC$' is.

If I try to go to the address '\\frotz\brian', it tells me "Cannot find the
file or item '\\frotz\brian'."  And thereafter, if I click on the Linux
system's name in the Network Neighborhood, it says '\\Frotz is not
accessible.  No permission to access resource.'

What am I doing wrong?  I know I have to either set Win98 to send cleartext
passwords or set smb.conf to encrypt passwords, but shouldn't I be able to
at least get a password dialog when I try to get to '\\frotz\brian'?

--
  ____    |\/|                  Brian Kendig
  \  /\   / ..__.     brian at enchanter net    You are in a maze of twisty
   \/  \__\   _/    http://www.enchanter.net/   little passages, all alike.
    \__   __  \_       Be insatiably curious.
       \____\___\            Ask "why" a lot.

Need help mounting home dir on Win98 w/ Samba

Post by extern.patrick.them.. » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I can't figure out how to mount my Linux home directory on my Windows
98
> system via Samba.  I have a small home network; my LinuxPPC system is
my
> router to the outside world via DSL, and it does IP masquerading so
that my
> other computers are on an internal 10.0.0.x network.  (Internally, the
> LinuxPPC box is 10.0.0.1.)

> I edited '/etc/smb.conf' to change and uncomment these two lines only:
>   hosts allow = 10. 127.
>   interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24

> Then I ran '/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start'.

> But my Windows 98 box can't see my LinuxPPC box in the Network
> Neighborhood, and it can't access the Samba share.  I can ssh from
Win98 to
> my LinuxPPC box just fine, but when I go into Windows Explorer and try
> access '\\10.0.0.1\brian', it says it 'cannot find the file or item.'

> What am I doing wrong; how do I set up this share?

try this in a dosbox first:
net view \\10.0.0.1
should give you back the available shares on 10.0.0.1

get back system error 53, networkpath not found?
-> your samba is not running properly
(make sure smb and nmb are running)
get back something like ipc$, but not brian?
-> your samba is not configured properly.

go find a file DIAGNOSIS.TXT in your samba-docs,
and go through the steps there.

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Need help mounting home dir on Win98 w/ Samba

Post by Stig S?rense » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Win98 will try to connect to '\\frotz\brian' with whatever username you
gave, when you started your windows session. So your windows username MUST
BE THE SAME as your linux username. (or you can make an alias for it in
/etc/smbusers). Thats why you only get prompted for password, not username.
(If you don't like it, use WinNT or Win2K).

Quote:> I know I have to either set Win98 to send cleartext
> passwords or set smb.conf to encrypt passwords

Yes! Do one of the above, and things will most likely work. If security does
not matter, get the registry-hack from samba.org to turn on non-encrypted
passwords (most likely included with samba).
I prefere to enable encrypted passwords in samba, this is done in
/etc/smb.conf

  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

There is a script for piping your regular passwords into the smbpasswd file,
can't remember the details off the top of my head, but google will know :-)
Anyways, you can just make an entry like this in smbpasswd:

# Samba SMB password file
stig:500:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[
U          ]:LCT-3780D8CD:

username, userid followed by 2*32 X'es. The X'es are spaceholders for the
encrypted password, set it with "smbpasswd", after adding the above line to
/etc/smbpasswd.

Hope this helps.
/Stig

Quote:> I've gotten a little further along, but I'm still stuck.

> >I have a small home network; my LinuxPPC system is my
> >router to the outside world via DSL, and it does IP masquerading so that
my
> >other computers are on an internal 10.0.0.x network.  (Internally, the
> >LinuxPPC box is 10.0.0.1.)

> >I edited '/etc/smb.conf' to change and uncomment these two lines only:
> >  hosts allow = 10. 127.
> >  interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24

> >Then I ran '/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start'.

> I also made sure that my Windows 98 system has 'Client for Microsoft
> Networks' installed and set as its primary network logon, and I log on to
> Windows with my Linux userid and password (not that it probably matters).

> What happens now is that my Linux system shows up in the Network
> Neighborhood, but when I try to open it, it says:

>   You must supply a password to make this connection:
>   Resource: \\FROTZ\IPC$
>   Password:

> It won't accept any password I give it, and I don't know who 'IPC$' is.

> If I try to go to the address '\\frotz\brian', it tells me "Cannot find
the
> file or item '\\frotz\brian'."  And thereafter, if I click on the Linux
> system's name in the Network Neighborhood, it says '\\Frotz is not
> accessible.  No permission to access resource.'

> What am I doing wrong?  I know I have to either set Win98 to send
cleartext
> passwords or set smb.conf to encrypt passwords, but shouldn't I be able to
> at least get a password dialog when I try to get to '\\frotz\brian'?

> --
>   ____    |\/|                  Brian Kendig
>   \  /\   / ..__.     brian at enchanter net    You are in a maze of
twisty
>    \/  \__\   _/    http://www.enchanter.net/   little passages, all
alike.
>     \__   __  \_       Be insatiably curious.
>        \____\___\            Ask "why" a lot.

1. Need help with NIS and home dir mount

Hi,

Thanks for the response to my previous queries about booting machine in
 single use mode.

Recently I had to change my NIS domain on my AIX machine.  Since I have
done that, I can't login to that machine using my userid.  Is there
anything else I am suppose to change ?  Or may be there is an issue at
NIS
 server side.  Just wanted to find out if any one has any quick idea.

Thanks,
Jayesh
--

Cisco Systems, Inc.
300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824

2. printing

3. autofs mounting dirs under autofs mounted dirs.

4. NYC Sun system administration group?

5. Win98 home dir on linux box

6. xterm for windows

7. HELP: Need to restrict users to thier home dir

8. Loopback

9. Samba and Win98 -- NO RESULTS! NEED HELP!

10. followup: Samba/Home Dirs/Links Trickery

11. Samba and Home -dir

12. Home Dirs/Links/Samba Trickery

13. Mounting home dir from workstation w/out root