Same wire routing --- interesting stuff

Post by Jun Zhan » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
    Before I seperate my networks physically, I really want
to see the result of routing between different networks over
single physical network.
    If you read the book "networking unix", you will see the picture
that one host with different network address than all the rest got
a cross on it. The remark is that this host won't be able to
communicate with others due to its wrong address.
    The standard picture will be two networks connected by
a router which has two interfaces.
    Now my picture looks weired: two kinds of hosts (say belong
to 200.1.1 and 200.1.2) sitting on the same physical network, and
there is a dual homed host connecting to the wire twice from
its two interfaces, with its ip_forwarding turned on.
    Linux is this dual homed host. Routing of packets has been tested
between a Unisys SVR4 and a windows NT standalone server.
They are single interfaced machines, no ip aliasing being used.
Unfortunately, replace the NT by a windows 95 PC or by another
Linux box, packets failed to pass.

    I may be walking in the dark.

Jun

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,
>    Before I seperate my networks physically, I really want
>to see the result of routing between different networks over
>single physical network.

That works, we even have this in production use awaiting the physical
seperation of a network. Just like you are trying to accomplish.

Quote:>    Now my picture looks weired: two kinds of hosts (say belong
>to 200.1.1 and 200.1.2) sitting on the same physical network, and
>there is a dual homed host connecting to the wire twice from
>its two interfaces, with its ip_forwarding turned on.

Yup.

Quote:>    Linux is this dual homed host. Routing of packets has been tested
>between a Unisys SVR4 and a windows NT standalone server.
>They are single interfaced machines, no ip aliasing being used.
>Unfortunately, replace the NT by a windows 95 PC or by another
>Linux box, packets failed to pass.

You did set the default gateway on the W95 box to the IP address of
the Linux router in the same subnet, right?

BTW, you can even accomplish this with one network card, if you
use IP aliasing to give 1 ethernet card 2 IP addresses.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed

1. Telephone wire TWO WIRE null modem cable?

I want to make a serial connection between two computers in
the house using regular telephone lines.  I already have a TWO
WIRE telephone line between the two computers, but the
following diagrams asks for a ground (GND) connection, does
anyone know if this is really required, or if there's a way to
get around that third ground wire.

Thanks.

Marc

Diagram in my communications terminal program:

      Simplest Possible 3-wire Null Modem Cable

      MALE                                    FEMALE
      =============                           ========
      25D RS232 pin     signal       signal   25D   9D (as in AT)
      =============     ======       ======   ===   ==
                  7     GND <------> GND        7    5
                  3     RD  <------- TD         2    3
                  2     TD  -------> RD         3    2

2. installing/booting mklinux on a PPC 9500

3. how to measure wire speed at wire level

4. Wacky RPC clnttcp_create problem

5. routing wired/wireless networks

6. PCI-SCSI NCR53c810 recommendations

7. Wired Route Table Problems

8. Want your LINUX Hardware experiences for web-page!!!

9. Can Linux route on the same wire?

10. Interesting stuff from InfoWorld

11. Routing and my net and inet and stuff

12. IpChains routing and stuff?