RH7: Installed as Workstation, Need telnet

RH7: Installed as Workstation, Need telnet

Post by Georg » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

When I installed RH7 I selected the workstaion install.
Its up and running without telnet or ftp.
How do I install/start telnet and ftp ?
Must I do a system upgrade from the discs ?

George

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

RH7: Installed as Workstation, Need telnet

Post by J.R. Tietsor » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

You'll need to install the telnet and ftp server rpm's off of the CD or from
an ftp server.  You can get them at
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-7.0/i386/en/RedHat...

telnet-server-0.17-7.i386.rpm
wu-ftpd-2.6.1-6.i386.rpm

Quote:> When I installed RH7 I selected the workstaion install.
> Its up and running without telnet or ftp.
> How do I install/start telnet and ftp ?
> Must I do a system upgrade from the discs ?

> George

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

RH7: Installed as Workstation, Need telnet

Post by Gregory Spa » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:56:00

Assuming you installed from cd-rom,

as root:

1. cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/

(the following is one command line)
2. rpm -ivh xinetd-2.1.8.9pre9-6.i386.rpm telnet-server-0.17-7.i386.rpm

--
Gregory Spath

SCHeckler on IRC ----------> http://freefall.homeip.net/javairc/
Team YBR ------------------> http://www.yellowbreechesracing.org/

1. telnet server on workstation class; rh7.1

hi,
 I want to set up telnet/ftp access to my machine running red hat 7.1.  I
have installed the workstation class using the red hat cds; can anyone let
me know what I need to do to start a telnet/ftp server on this machine?
If anyone knows a good link explaining what I need to do, it will be most
welcome!
thanks,
amar

2. vfork and file-descriptors

3. RH7.1 dev workstation: need best mount points for 2 partitions limited to max 2GB?

4. 3.3.3.1 causes segmentation fault

5. RH7.0 installed, Telnet & Ftp does not work

6. Installing linux onto a older labtop help

7. RH7.0: "Unavailable Package" Message When Trying to Install Telnet Server

8. Kppp error

9. RH7.3 & RH7.1 install exits abnormally

10. Need Help ASAP - Tulip driver install on RH7

11. Need help installing TV driver for my ATI card under RH7.2

12. Real Difference Between Server and Workstation under RH7.0?