Routing static ip addresses through ppp with linux.

Routing static ip addresses through ppp with linux.

Post by Monz » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello, i would like to provide my linux machine a static ip address from
my isp via ppp. I would also like to give the other computer on my
network a static ip address and give full access to the ineternet
through the linux machine.
Here is my config:

       _______                         ________
------| Linux |-----------------------| win nt |
   ppp0        eth0                eth
Static ip      ????               Static ip

My isp can provide me with more than one static ip address.  I know how
to set up the one for the ppp0 interface on the linux machine but what
about eth0?  Not sure which address i would put here.  And of course the
windows one gets the other static ip address.  Do i need to get 3 static
ip addresses for this(another for eth0)?
Which kernel options do i need/daemons running?
I looked at the networking how to and network admin guide and cant seem
to firure it out.  Currently i am useing ip masq and 192.168.1.x
addresses for the ethernet interfaces and alls well.
If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Thanks alot.
Monz

:        _______                         ________
: ------| Linux |-----------------------| win nt |
:    ppp0        eth0                eth
: Static ip      ????               Static ip

: My isp can provide me with more than one static ip address.  I know how
: to set up the one for the ppp0 interface on the linux machine but what
: about eth0?  Not sure which address i would put here.  And of course the
: windows one gets the other static ip address.  Do i need to get 3 static
: ip addresses for this(another for eth0)?
: Which kernel options do i need/daemons running?

No, you'll need only two ips. You do not have anything more than you have
when you are masquerading. Only  you have to set up your both computers
with their real  ip's and leave out that masquerading from your setup
scripts. When you're not using 'noipdefault' in pppd options, your
ppp device will use the same ip with your eth device.

Kalevi

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
****  http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~oh3fg/ ****  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC  ****

1. Linux/dial-up-PPP to route multple IP addresses - possible?

I have a Mac Quadra 700 at home, with which I am using MacTCP and ConfigPPP to
dial up my local ISP providor at 28.8. Seems pretty standard so far, right?

OK, what I want to do is to have multiple Macs (2, 3, maybe one day 4) in my
house, all running Ethernet-TCP/IP, and all being able to get mail from the
local ISP.

Is is possible to have a Linux box have an Ethernet connection in one port, and
a dial-up ISP PPP connection out another port, and have it act as a router for
the 4 Macs on Ethernet? The 4 Macs would all have unique IP addresses, and I
want the Linux box to route all 4 of the Macs on to the local POP server. That
way they can all get mail under different e-mail addresses, and I can limit
myself to one dedicated modem line.

Is this feasible, or I am missing something fundamental about IP routing here?

And if it is feasible (or even possible), does anyone know of a MAC program
that will do this. I have plenty of them lying around, but if I have to
assemble a Linux box to do what I want, I will.

Steve B.

2. USENIX Winter 1993 Technical Conference - Current BOF Schedule

3. Routing ip address through linux connected via ppp

4. problem of packet dropping in kernel

5. Multiple Static IP addresses and one PPP connection.

6. Linux & 386sx->486 upgrades?

7. Need help with ppp-on and static ip address

8. MP3 to WAV converter?

9. Setting up a mailhub for a non-static IP address over a dial-up PPP account

10. Please help: Static IP address for dial-up ppp connection

11. ppp-2.3 using dynamic AND static IP address attribution

12. Please help: Static IP address for a dial-up ppp connection

13. Please help: Static IP address for dial-up ppp connection