name resolver problem - this may be a bug, but is probably with my ADSL "modem"

name resolver problem - this may be a bug, but is probably with my ADSL "modem"

Post by zimba_the_.. » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I was having a problem where my Windows machine could resolve names but the
Linux machine couldn't.

Here's the situation..

2 computers... 1 Win98.. 1 RH 6.1 on a DEC UDB Both connected to USWest ADSL
service on a Cisco 675 xDSL "modem" running in PPP mode.

Win98 machine works fine, never a problem.
Linux machine can't resolve a name.

Network is configured via DHCP and /etc/resolv.conf contains the correct IP
addresses for the name servers.  This seemed odd... so I put eth0 into
promiscuous mode and used tcpdump to see what is different.

Linux:
10.0.0.3.1024 > 204.147.80.1.domain: 16267+ A? www.yahoo.com. (30)
That get's no response...

Win98:
10.0.0.2.1431 > 204.147.80.1.domain: 1+ A? www.yahoo.com. (30)
This works...

Now for the fun part, I could get it to work by running 2 pings at once. Is
it possible that someone along the way doesn't like source port 1024? The
second ping pushed the source  port to 1025 and all was happy.

What's annoying is that on bootup my machine pauses for a couple minutes while
configuring the eth0 interface because it can't resolve names...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Ken

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

name resolver problem - this may be a bug, but is probably with my ADSL "modem"

Post by Leasene » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Try adding a host list to your Linux box.  The easiest way is to go under "
Linuxconf | Misc | Information about other hosts " and add the appropriate
Ip addresses to the NetBios name. Oh, if forgot, you are running DHCP.  Then
add a DNS server to your LAN and make entries in there and make sure the
client computers are also configured to use that DNS server in your LAN,
along with the ISP DNS server.

Hope this helps,

"the Matrix has you "

Quote:> I was having a problem where my Windows machine could resolve names but
the
> Linux machine couldn't.

> Here's the situation..

> 2 computers... 1 Win98.. 1 RH 6.1 on a DEC UDB Both connected to USWest
ADSL
> service on a Cisco 675 xDSL "modem" running in PPP mode.

> Win98 machine works fine, never a problem.
> Linux machine can't resolve a name.

> Network is configured via DHCP and /etc/resolv.conf contains the correct
IP
> addresses for the name servers.  This seemed odd... so I put eth0 into
> promiscuous mode and used tcpdump to see what is different.

> Linux:
> 10.0.0.3.1024 > 204.147.80.1.domain: 16267+ A? www.yahoo.com. (30)
> That get's no response...

> Win98:
> 10.0.0.2.1431 > 204.147.80.1.domain: 1+ A? www.yahoo.com. (30)
> This works...

> Now for the fun part, I could get it to work by running 2 pings at once.
Is
> it possible that someone along the way doesn't like source port 1024? The
> second ping pushed the source  port to 1025 and all was happy.

> What's annoying is that on bootup my machine pauses for a couple minutes
while
> configuring the eth0 interface because it can't resolve names...

> Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

> Thanks,
> Ken

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

name resolver problem - this may be a bug, but is probably with my ADSL "modem"

Post by Joshua Nek » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Are you sure this is a name resolver problem???
If you can run two pings at once, and the second ping gets through, it has
to be resolving ip addresses.

As far as the second ping working goes, ICMP echo packets doesn't use ports.
This one baffles me why it would work when two are simultaneously running.

What does it say when you try to ping or traceroute somewhere??

Do an
    ifconfig
    route
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
and send me the outputs

1. strange output of "who am I" & "last" on solaris 9

OS:
%  uname -a
SunOS sunbox-1 5.9 Generic_117171-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
ssh on Solaris 9 comes with the OS.

When I tried to "ssh" from another machine (Soalris 7 + OpenSSH)
to it, the output of "who am i" and "lst" is strange, the IP address
part is weird.

%  who am i
tom       pts/3        Oct  8 13:54    (t?)

%  last |more
tom   pts/3        t?             Fri Oct  8 13:54   still logged in

When I tried to ssh from another Solaris 9 (ssh comes with OS),
the IP address part is missing in the output of "who am i" and "last":
%  who am i
tom       pts/1        Oct  8 14:00

%  last |more
tom      pts/1                         Fri Oct  8 14:00   still logged in

Any idea?

Thanks.

2. Virtual FTP

3. strange output of "who am i" & "last" in Solaris 9

4. system monitoring for 2 CPUs, RH6/GNOME

6. Help: good way to copy files over network

7. I am having problems with "fvwm2" or Xwindows

8. Location of Linux ICQ

10. DIP Problem: Am I "slipping" or not?

11. How to track "Inode", "name" and "buffer" cache rates

12. |Q| Problems with "who am i" reporting incorrect user name.