MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by jmsalv » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I was looking / waiting for quite some time for an exchange client on
linux ....

but I just realized that you can actually use your browser (at least on
NT) to act as your exhchange client. This seems to work for both IE and
Netscape. I'm viewing my Inbox now using Netscape 4.7.

If any kind soul out there who has a linux workstation and an MS
Exchange server running on their network try using, say Netscape on
Linux to access the Exchange client for confirmation that it does work
on non-Windows browsers, that would be appreciated.

The URL should be:

http://<exchangehost>/exchange/logon.asp

... replace <exchangehost> with the hostname where MS Exchange is
installed.

On the right, you'll read:

"Type your alias and then click here to
connect to your personal e-mail account."

A message box would appear asking you for your username and password. It
should be:

UserName: <yourdomain>/<yourusernanme>
Password: <yourpassword>

I am not sure if something needs to be enabled on the Exchange server
side to make this all happen.

Thanks,

John Salvo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by Steve Co » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I was looking / waiting for quite some time for an exchange client on
> linux ....

> but I just realized that you can actually use your browser (at least on
> NT) to act as your exhchange client. This seems to work for both IE and
> Netscape. I'm viewing my Inbox now using Netscape 4.7.

> If any kind soul out there who has a linux workstation and an MS
> Exchange server running on their network try using, say Netscape on
> Linux to access the Exchange client for confirmation that it does work
> on non-Windows browsers, that would be appreciated.

> The URL should be:

> http://<exchangehost>/exchange/logon.asp

> ... replace <exchangehost> with the hostname where MS Exchange is
> installed.

> On the right, you'll read:

> "Type your alias and then click here to
> connect to your personal e-mail account."

> A message box would appear asking you for your username and password. It
> should be:

> UserName: <yourdomain>/<yourusernanme>
> Password: <yourpassword>

> I am not sure if something needs to be enabled on the Exchange server
> side to make this all happen.

> Thanks,

> John Salvo

Hiya,

Thats the exchange IIS web component - can't remember it's proper name.

It's designed to allow access to employees info when they're on the road -
they log onto the companies website and voila. Always thought it was
tempting
a hack though...

Never thought of using it internally as an non-MS client.
Should be cool if it works (The web exchange component has to be
added in the initial install for it to be available so I can't test it).

There has been discussions on not having excange clients available
to linux/unix (see the trade client stuff being developed). This
is worth mentioning when the thread rises again.

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hiya,

> Thats the exchange IIS web component - can't remember it's proper name.

> It's designed to allow access to employees info when they're on the road -
> they log onto the companies website and voila. Always thought it was
> tempting
> a hack though...

> Never thought of using it internally as an non-MS client.
> Should be cool if it works (The web exchange component has to be
> added in the initial install for it to be available so I can't test it).

You mean, you can't add it later on? My goodness...

Quote:

> There has been discussions on not having excange clients available
> to linux/unix (see the trade client stuff being developed). This
> is worth mentioning when the thread rises again.

I have read references to TradeMail .... but if you can use a browser,
then there is no need to install anything on the client. Just trying to
see if I can get away with using a linux workstation without having to
reboot / use vmare / vnc / just to check my inbox.

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by Steve Co » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Hiya,

> > Thats the exchange IIS web component - can't remember it's proper name.

> > It's designed to allow access to employees info when they're on the
road -
> > they log onto the companies website and voila. Always thought it was
> > tempting
> > a hack though...

> > Never thought of using it internally as an non-MS client.
> > Should be cool if it works (The web exchange component has to be
> > added in the initial install for it to be available so I can't test it).

> You mean, you can't add it later on? My goodness...

> > There has been discussions on not having excange clients available
> > to linux/unix (see the trade client stuff being developed). This
> > is worth mentioning when the thread rises again.

> I have read references to TradeMail .... but if you can use a browser,
> then there is no need to install anything on the client. Just trying to
> see if I can get away with using a linux workstation without having to
> reboot / use vmare / vnc / just to check my inbox.

> --
> Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/

Yes - I BELIEVE it's an install component - I don't fancy
backing up the private and public stores, removing exchange
server and reinstalling again. :-)

Trademail is a growing project, it's aim is to replace exchange
as a server and client side (prividing central group info management)
- being cross platform. At the moment is is just limited client side test
(when I last looked anyway)

There are advantages with client specific installs - dedicated
code usually performs better, Netscape is a memory hog,
There are also security issues with IIS and web serving
this info generally.

But that's just my personal view anyway - I'm going to
look into retro fitting the web component here - with the
lack of exchange clients  - it's the only good way.

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by bradi.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have one question regarding that - for an example, in the company I
work for we rely heavily on our intranet.  The only way that I can
access web-based exchange mail is by logging in to the intranet.  From
my Linux box I have not yet found a way to accomplish this.

As long as I am not logged on the the NT network, I am treated as an
outsider trying to get in.  Is there some way to deal with this type of
situation?

Brad

Quote:> I was looking / waiting for quite some time for an exchange client on
> linux ....

> but I just realized that you can actually use your browser (at least
on
> NT) to act as your exhchange client. This seems to work for both IE
and
> Netscape. I'm viewing my Inbox now using Netscape 4.7.

> If any kind soul out there who has a linux workstation and an MS
> Exchange server running on their network try using, say Netscape on
> Linux to access the Exchange client for confirmation that it does work
> on non-Windows browsers, that would be appreciated.

> The URL should be:

> http://<exchangehost>/exchange/logon.asp

> ... replace <exchangehost> with the hostname where MS Exchange is
> installed.

> On the right, you'll read:

> "Type your alias and then click here to
> connect to your personal e-mail account."

> A message box would appear asking you for your username and password.
It
> should be:

> UserName: <yourdomain>/<yourusernanme>
> Password: <yourpassword>

> I am not sure if something needs to be enabled on the Exchange server
> side to make this all happen.

> Thanks,

> John Salvo

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Brad,

> I have one question regarding that - for an example, in the company I
> work for we rely heavily on our intranet.  The only way that I can
> access web-based exchange mail is by logging in to the intranet.  From
> my Linux box I have not yet found a way to accomplish this.

You mean, even if you're using netsacpe on nt (for example), you can
only access the exchange server from netscape only if you are logged in
to the NT domain? Have u tried logging in locally (instead of logging in
to the domain) and running netscape/IE to access exchange server ...
just to prove that it does require logging in to the NT domain?

The reason I ask this is that the web login page to exchange server asks
me anyway for the NT domain username/password, so I thought that itself
already logs you into the NT domain.

Quote:> As long as I am not logged on the the NT network, I am treated as an
> outsider trying to get in.  Is there some way to deal with this type of
> situation?

Install SAMBA on the linux ws, and have your ws join the NT domain, then
login to the NT domain from your linux ws.
Let me know what happens.

John

Quote:

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by Juha Laih » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>If any kind soul out there who has a linux workstation and an MS
>Exchange server running on their network try using, say Netscape on
>Linux to access the Exchange client for confirmation that it does work
>on non-Windows browsers, that would be appreciated.

Yes, it does work, mostly. I recall there are problems handling
all-day events in Calendar, and minor things like that (and at
least there used to be problems with the service stability), but
mostly it's ok.

For just mail access, I'd enable IMAP service on the Exchange server
and access using "any" IMAP client, such as Pine (Netscape also has
IMAP capability).
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

         !M V PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5? !X R tv--- b+ DI? D G e+ h--- r+++ y+

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> For just mail access, I'd enable IMAP service on the Exchange server
> and access using "any" IMAP client, such as Pine (Netscape also has
> IMAP capability).

I would, but unfortunately, I am not the sysadmin at our office.

> --
> Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

>          !M V PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5? !X R tv--- b+ DI? D G e+ h--- r+++ y+

Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by dalewilcox1.. » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Relating to MS Exchange. Those who want to enter an internal network
form the Web should go through a firewall. I did not see this mentioned
in any of these posts (may have over looked). Gaining access to internal
mail would have to go through a firewall to protect your company
internal resources to attack. I use Linux, Netscape, and StarOffice at
my location. The only problem that I have with this set up is being able
to have the full functionality of MSExchange..i.e. calendar, todo list,
etc. These are part of Outlook that does not seem to readily move over
to other applications.

If there are those who know, other than using Wine, or VMWare. I also
would like to know

Dale

> > For just mail access, I'd enable IMAP service on the Exchange server
> > and access using "any" IMAP client, such as Pine (Netscape also has
> > IMAP capability).

> I would, but unfortunately, I am not the sysadmin at our office.

> > --
> > Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

w !O
> >          !M V PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5? !X R tv--- b+ DI? D G e+ h---
r+++ y+

> --
> Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MS Exchange client on Linux

Post by Ron N » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You could possibly set up a VPN terminating from a Linux box to the
corporate network.  That way, you could have secure transactions so that
the entire contents of the packet are encrypted.  FreeS/WAN would be the
perfect candidate.