setting up sendmail to forward?

Post by no.top.p.. » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:56:00

I've never done any network configuration.

I've got this app. running on Linux, which accesses the internet, but
its mail-client can't do my ISPs latest send-authorisation.

Apparently this instalation's only MTA is sendmail.
Please give some instructions on how to proceed.
sendmail's man gives only options, for somebody who already knows how to start.

> If a Mail Transfer Agent, MTA, is running on your Linux
> system you don't move a text file from ETHO to Linux and
> then send the emessage from a Mail User Agent in Linux.
> Your ETHO system sends the emessage directly to the MTA
> which forwards it to the ISP.  It's just a matter of
> configuring exim or Postfix properly on the Linux system.

I like that idea.  Also, if I learned how to network-configure,
I could do some 'local' testing of eg. send-confirmation,
instead of dialing into my ISP to test each step.

Quote:> Exim is still the stock MTA in Debian.  I proferred
> working with Postfix when it was necessary but it was an
> optional installation.

This present installation has got 'sendmail' which is
reputed to be a monster.  I'll try to get some advice
from the 'network USEnetGroup' how to configure it
if I fail after reading the man.
---------
Well I didn't even know where to START after reading the man,
but I liked the /etc/mail/helpfile which explained the:
HELO EHLO AUTH. I read it with `less` and `sendmail help`
just hangs.

== TIA.

setting up sendmail to forward?

Post by Joe Zef » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 03:12:19

It's not directly related to your question, but the very first thing you
*need* to do is create an account for yourself and use it instead of
logging in as root for normal use.  That's the equivalent of doing
everything as Administrator on a Windows machine and is best described as
a recipe for disaster.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

1. sendmail, how to set up auto forward for a group of people

Here is what I want to do:

I have a group of users whose user names have certain patterns. For
example, all their names start with "john", like "john1234", "john
4567", etc. Those users do not exist on my system (Linux), but they
exist in a different database, along with their real email addresses.

I want to be able to handle emails for such users, like

this user's real email and forward the mail to that address.

I want to use a mail forward program to handle it, but I need to trigger
this program. Normally one can put a line in .forward file under the
home directory of the user, or add an alias line in /etc/aliases file.

Since the number of such users are quite large, I do not want to create
all such users in my local system (so no home directory), nor do I want
to create aliases in /etc/aliases file for all of them (too long).

I wonder if there is a way to specify a group of users based on certain
pattern matching with regular expression in /etc/aliases file to achieve
this.

This is for a Linux, RedHat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20smp, sendmail 8.9.3.

Thanks.

Weidong Wang

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Helllllllllllllllllllp

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. diamond stealth 3D 2000 (4MB) on linux

5. SENDMAIL/.forward: Forwarding to programs

6. help configging X

7. sendmail forwarding to another sendmail without DNS?

8. Is it possible to limit bandwidth on a per-user basis with cbq.init script?

9. Forward loop ups Help!!!

10. diff -rcN ups-2.45.2/Makefile ups/Makefile

11. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68

12. UPS - software driver for the APC Smart UPS - 600 (Please HELP )

13. UPS Woes (APC Back-UPS Pro)