set up uugetty, but dip leaves modem in 'weird' state.

set up uugetty, but dip leaves modem in 'weird' state.

Post by Marcus Tooz » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have been using my linux machine for a while using dip/slip
for outgoing. I recently decided to configure for incoming,
so I set up /etc/deafaults and /etc/gettydefs and /etc/inittab
to use uugetty to monitor the serial port for
incoming.

I have found that I can no longer dial in after finishing a
dip/slip session....the phone rings w/out the modem picking up.
If I kell the uugetty process and let it respawn (so then it reads
the defaults and gettydef file), I can dial in and it picks up.
Just running init q doesn't respawn the getty correctly (or so it
seems). It's like the dip/slip process is leaving the modem/serial
port in a weird state....like switching off the autoanswer.

Like I said, the only way for incoming calls after a dip/slip session
to get picked up is to kill the current getty....

Why is this?

marcus

Post by Timothy Murp » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I have found that I can no longer dial in after finishing a
>dip/slip session....the phone rings w/out the modem picking up.
>If I kell the uugetty process and let it respawn (so then it reads
>the defaults and gettydef file), I can dial in and it picks up.

I use dip/slip with mgetty and have no problems at all.
uugetty is a terrible program.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

set up uugetty, but dip leaves modem in 'weird' state.

Post by Vern Hox » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been using my linux machine for a while using dip/slip
>for outgoing. I recently decided to configure for incoming,
>so I set up /etc/deafaults and /etc/gettydefs and /etc/inittab
>to use uugetty to monitor the serial port for
>incoming.

>I have found that I can no longer dial in after finishing a
>dip/slip session....the phone rings w/out the modem picking up.
>If I kell the uugetty process and let it respawn (so then it reads
>the defaults and gettydef file), I can dial in and it picks up.
>Just running init q doesn't respawn the getty correctly (or so it
>seems). It's like the dip/slip process is leaving the modem/serial
>port in a weird state....like switching off the autoanswer.

>Like I said, the only way for incoming calls after a dip/slip session
>to get picked up is to kill the current getty....

>Why is this?

Probably because 'uugetty' is sick and you may have your modem set up
wrong.

Get my 'serial_suite.tgz' from 'scicom.alphacdc.com' via ftp.  This is a
collection of serial port utilities and information about using the serial
ports.  There is a simple 'getty' to use instead of 'uugetty' and there is
a blurb about setting up the modems.  You might also be interested in using
'call_em' instead of 'dip'.

vern

--
Vernon C. Hoxie                                           scicom!zebra!vern

Denver, Colo., 80212        uucp: 303-455-2670          voice: 303-477-1780
               Unix is what MSDOS will be when it grows up.

1. DIP: dip -k leaves modem in funny state?

: Whenever I want to quit SLIP'ing I type "dip -k" but
: this seems to leave my modem in a state where it can't
: be accessed by - for example - uucico. The error I get

I don't have my linux-box at hand, but I read (in readme for dip,
/usr/doc/dip unless you rm-ed it ;) that DIP indeed quits without
reseting the modem.

: I can reset the modem by hand, but I'm looking for a
: more elegant way. Doesn't dip reset the modem, and if
: not, is there another way to do it?

There was something about using the exit or reset command in there,
maybe that helps. If not, send me email and I'll look it up in my
docs...

Groetjes,
    Ed.
.------------------------=---------------------------------------------------.

| FIDO: 2:500/131.6290   |         ** finger for my PGP public key **        |
`------------------------=---------------------------------------------------'

2. How to kmalloc 700kB reliably?

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. Help: HPUX boot from cdrom

5. MODEM: share modem between 'uugetty' and a perl prog that pages

6. xconfig V7 VEGA PLUS

7. dip says 'set HOSTNAME', but it's set

8. GETTY reports segmentation Fault ?? HELP!!

9. ??:'uugetty' and In/Out Modem Sharing?!?!?!?!

11. 'top' output -> High CPU consumption when thread is in 'sleep' state

12. DIP and uugetty Don't work together

13. Apache 1.3.20 children left in Keepalive state, SIGALRM won't kill