Anyone care to translate isdn4linux-FAQ ?

Anyone care to translate isdn4linux-FAQ ?

Post by Petri T Suomine » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Would anyone like to translate the (I'm sure great) isdn4linux-FAQ in
http://oops.franken.de/isdn4linux/ to English ?

I'm sure there are some non-German speaking users who
would appreciate it.
Petri Suominen Helsinki Finland R178 10.9 NM HEL VOR

* jackpot.clinet.fi is powered by Linux, the choice of a GNU generation
*

:
: I'm sure there are some non-German speaking users who
: would appreciate it.

Try posting this on the isdn4linux mailing list - it is mostly german,
but there are a few bilingual people there.

--

Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
XFree86 Matrox Team http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

Anyone care to translate isdn4linux-FAQ ?

Post by Peter van der Land » Sun, 20 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Would anyone like to translate the (I'm sure great) isdn4linux-FAQ in
>http://oops.franken.de/isdn4linux/ to English ?

>I'm sure there are some non-German speaking users who
>would appreciate it.

Considering that the reason they can use Linux is that one Linus
Torvald was good enough to write Linux in English instead of Finnish
one might even say they are morally obliged to share their knowledge
in a language that you can be sure anyone who uses Linux can at least
understand.

Oh yes, the mailing list in English would be nice too.

Regards,

Post by Marcus Faur » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: >Would anyone like to translate the (I'm sure great) isdn4linux-FAQ in
: >http://oops.franken.de/isdn4linux/ to English ?
: >
: >I'm sure there are some non-German speaking users who
: >would appreciate it.

: Considering that the reason they can use Linux is that one Linus
: Torvald was good enough to write Linux in English instead of Finnish
: one might even say they are morally obliged to share their knowledge
: in a language that you can be sure anyone who uses Linux can at least
: understand.

You have the english version in your /usr/src/linux/Documentation directory.
Even the isdn4linux-package contains both english and german versions of
the manuals

Doc Holiday

| MS-DOS: Malformed System - (D)elete (O)verwrite (S)cream |

Post by Peter van der Land » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>You have the english version in your /usr/src/linux/Documentation directory.
>Even the isdn4linux-package contains both english and german versions of
>the manuals

Nope, that's definitely a start (thanks to whoever wrote it) but the
Faq contains more and different info (ok I admit,I can read German.
The technical stuff is a bit difficult to understand tho...).

Regards,

Peter van der Landen

       Law Faculty, L4-45, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Holland
          Tel +31-10-4082237 (home 2331650) Fax +31-10-2331215

Post by Petri T Suomine » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> : >Would anyone like to translate the (I'm sure great) isdn4linux-FAQ in
> : >http://oops.franken.de/isdn4linux/ to English ?
> : >
> : >I'm sure there are some non-German speaking users who
> : >would appreciate it.

> : Considering that the reason they can use Linux is that one Linus
> : Torvald was good enough to write Linux in English instead of Finnish
> : one might even say they are morally obliged to share their knowledge
> : in a language that you can be sure anyone who uses Linux can at least
> : understand.

> You have the english version in your /usr/src/linux/Documentation directory.
> Even the isdn4linux-package contains both english and german versions of
> the manuals

Do I ? Which one of these is it ?

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/isdn
00-INDEX        INTERFACE       README.audio    README.pcbit
README.teles
CREDITS         README          README.icn      README.syncppp
syncPPP.FAQ

I've been reading these over and over again and I still don't know the
answer to this simple question.
Do I already have all the software that I need, or do I need to download
isdn4linux separately ? If so then what do I have as a part of 2.0.23
kernel ?

Maybe I'm just illiterate ;-(

Quote:> Doc Holiday

Post by Marcus Faur » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

: > You have the english version in your /usr/src/linux/Documentation directory.
: > Even the isdn4linux-package contains both english and german versions of
: > the manuals

: Do I ? Which one of these is it ?

: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/isdn
: 00-INDEX        INTERFACE       README.audio    README.pcbit
: README.teles
: CREDITS         README          README.icn      README.syncppp
: syncPPP.FAQ

: I've been reading these over and over again and I still don't know the
: answer to this simple question.
: Do I already have all the software that I need, or do I need to download
: isdn4linux separately ? If so then what do I have as a part of 2.0.23
: kernel ?
README is the basic document, the other READMEs are about ISDN-subtopics
like using the teles-low-level-driver.
isdn4linux was a seperate distribution until it finally made it into
the kernel at about 1.3.anything.

Doc Holiday

| MS-DOS: Malformed System - (D)elete (O)verwrite (S)cream |

Anyone care to translate isdn4linux-FAQ ?

Post by dietm » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

          Hello,

There is a lot of documentation on the web in german and english:
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~ui161ab/www/isdn/

              regards
                  Didi
--

Anyone care to translate isdn4linux-FAQ ?

Post by dietm » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[...]

   I've been reading these over and over again and I still don't know the
   answer to this simple question.
   Do I already have all the software that I need, or do I need to download
   isdn4linux separately ? If so then what do I have as a part of 2.0.23
   kernel ?

             Hello,

If you want to use ISDN4linux and you are a newbie, it is best to
get the packet. It contains all the necessary user level programs and
some more documentation. You need it for most setups.
(there is only one exception: if you once have mknod the /dev/ttyIx devices
by hand, you can use Modem emulation on ISDN without anything else.)

It is usual for the Linux user level programs
to be distributed seperate from the kernel source. (e.g. pppd is a separate
package).

               Sorry, i would translate some Doku but
i have severe problems with typing injuries:-(((

                                Dietmar
--

Post by Petri T Suomine » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> isdn4linux was a seperate distribution until it finally made it into
> the kernel at about 1.3.anything.

        I'm getting contradicting information here (and confused too)
        Some people say, that the things included in the kernel are
        only the ISDN drivers that let me talk to the card as if though
        it was a modem. If I want to use ipppd, isdnctl etc I still need
        to download isdn4linux separately.

        So I did. It turned out that there was a separate "issue" of
        it for kernels >=2.0.0.

        So how is it ?

Quote:> Doc Holiday

Post by Bernd R » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>: Would anyone like to translate the (I'm sure great) isdn4linux-FAQ in
>: http://oops.franken.de/isdn4linux/ to English ?
>:
>: I'm sure there are some non-German speaking users who
>: would appreciate it.

>Try posting this on the isdn4linux mailing list - it is mostly german,
>but there are a few bilingual people there.

In fact I would say most Germans digging into Linux are more
or less in command of the English language.