Advice sought - ISDN modems, proxy servers and firewalls

Advice sought - ISDN modems, proxy servers and firewalls

Post by Stev » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

As a small company in Inverness, Scotland, providing internet access
to the public as well as using it internally, we are looking to
improve our access by replacing our current dial-up with isdn.  Having
read documentation, and contacted BT etc, a few queries remain
unanswered.  I am hoping that someone here can help.

We are intending to use a 486-100 with 24Mb ram, and ISDN modem and
two ethernet cards to route two nets, a public net and a private net,
to the internet.  The following queries are still essentially
unanswered to my satisfaction.

we will be needing to set up a proxy/proxies for http, ftp, telnet,
news, mail etc.

1.  In users experience, which is the best ISDN internal modem to use.

2.  Which of the proxy servers is the best to use, easiest to set up,
most reliable.

3.  Are there any other issues that we should be considering, problems
that need to be avoided.

With thanks in advance for all help offered.

Post by Nick Birket » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> As a small company in Inverness, Scotland, providing internet access
> to the public as well as using it internally, we are looking to
> improve our access by replacing our current dial-up with isdn.  Having
> read documentation, and contacted BT etc, a few queries remain
> unanswered.  I am hoping that someone here can help.

> We are intending to use a 486-100 with 24Mb ram, and ISDN modem and
> two ethernet cards to route two nets, a public net and a private net,
> to the internet.  The following queries are still essentially
> unanswered to my satisfaction.

> we will be needing to set up a proxy/proxies for http, ftp, telnet,
> news, mail etc.

> 1.  In users experience, which is the best ISDN internal modem to use.

> 2.  Which of the proxy servers is the best to use, easiest to set up,
> most reliable.

> 3.  Are there any other issues that we should be considering, problems
> that need to be avoided.

> With thanks in advance for all help offered.

As for ISDN modems - I would go for  a PCI ISDN solution as these have no

PnP problems (i.e work "out of the box").

I have used an Elsa PCI Quickstep 1000 pro  (72 quid from Simply.co.uk)
internal
ISDN TA
 and a  U-net  (www.u-net.net) ISP connection for 128 Kbps ISDN
(works fine under Linux).

Requires a 2.0.36 or better kernel  configured for ISDN- (the new 2.2.x
kernels are  also fine.)

Nick Birkett

1. Advice sought on setting up an ISDN dial in sever with Linux.

Hello good people,

Presently we have 2 Redhat 8.0 linux servers with about 20 dial in
analog modems installed using multiport cards to accept ppp calls from
linux boxes at differnt branch offices. This allows them to connect to
the head office lan here. The setup is working ok although there is a
mess of cables behind.

I was considering getting 1 30-channel ISDN PRI line that will connect
to 1 ISDN PRI PCI card inside 1 Linux box. Will this allow our
existing analog modems from branch offices to connect to HO lan using
these channels? Can we use some of these channels to dial out to other
analog modems outside? We will be of course replacing our branch
modems by ISDN BRI lines and cards over time. Which PRI card should I
buy? I saw one on EICON Diva website. Is it better or cheaper to buy a
hardware ISDN multiport RAS router instead? What router can you
suggest?

Please advise if such setup is desirable. If it works, it will
certainly reduce the cable mess and will give 64k connections to our
branch offices.

Thanks in advance.
J Dubal.

2. Restrict ftp user to certain directory tree?

3. Newbie seeks advice: secure DSL firewall

4. csh -> ksh transition

5. Router firewall newbie seeking advice

6. Wierd problem with adding users.

7. Redhat5.0's proxy server and firewall proxy

8. Filename completion on /cdrom causes lockup. (1.2.13, A2940 SCSI card, SCSI CD-ROM)

9. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

10. Advice sought: seeking archival storage system for Linux

11. Firewall / Proxy issues... Please offer some advice.

12. Firewall / Proxy Issue... Advice needed...

13. Seeking modem advice, experiences