2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

Post by mitj » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:04:01



hi all .
We have two networkaddress X.222.222.0/24 and X.222.111.0/24 (both
255.255.255.0) on one phisical network. The gatway has X.222.222.1 and
X.222.111.1 both on one phisical interface managed.
My Server is in the segment X.222.111.0 and has ip X.222.111.202.

routing table:
X.222.111.202 0.0.0.0       255.255.255 eth0
0.0.0.0       X.222.111.1   0.0.0.0     eth0

Probleme:
Sometimes I can see the segment X.222.222.0 and somtimes not.
In the first case I can ping everywhere but the phisical interface of
the gateway X.222.222.1 . From the Gateway i cant ping to my machine
X.222.111.202 .
In the seconde case I cant ping out of the gateway. I can ping the
Gateway.

Other networkcomputer on both segment see everything,  there have been
some linux machine wich had the problem before but never resolved. The
NT machines have no problems and the Sun OS to.

Greets help linux and me pls .....

 
 
 

2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

Post by Eugen » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 04:19:26


did you configure IP aliasing? You shoud have 2 IPs, one for each subnet.

ifconfig eth0 x.222.222.202 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig eth0:0 x.222.111.202 netmask 255.255.255.0

Eugene


> hi all .
> We have two networkaddress X.222.222.0/24 and X.222.111.0/24 (both
> 255.255.255.0) on one phisical network. The gatway has X.222.222.1 and
> X.222.111.1 both on one phisical interface managed.
> My Server is in the segment X.222.111.0 and has ip X.222.111.202.

> routing table:
> X.222.111.202 0.0.0.0       255.255.255 eth0
> 0.0.0.0       X.222.111.1   0.0.0.0     eth0

> Probleme:
> Sometimes I can see the segment X.222.222.0 and somtimes not.
> In the first case I can ping everywhere but the phisical interface of
> the gateway X.222.222.1 . From the Gateway i cant ping to my machine
> X.222.111.202 .
> In the seconde case I cant ping out of the gateway. I can ping the
> Gateway.

> Other networkcomputer on both segment see everything,  there have been
> some linux machine wich had the problem before but never resolved. The
> NT machines have no problems and the Sun OS to.

> Greets help linux and me pls .....


 
 
 

2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

Post by mitj » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:17:36



> did you configure IP aliasing? You shoud have 2 IPs, one for each subnet.

> ifconfig eth0 x.222.222.202 netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig eth0:0 x.222.111.202 netmask 255.255.255.0

is this a proper way? It works on this way but i think there should be
a 2nd way. may i did a missconfiguration. ? i have 2 ethernet cards on
my machine but i think this shouldnt be the case.
thx
 
 
 

2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

Post by Your na » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 02:26:05




> > did you configure IP aliasing? You shoud have 2 IPs, one for each subnet.

> > ifconfig eth0 x.222.222.202 netmask 255.255.255.0
> > ifconfig eth0:0 x.222.111.202 netmask 255.255.255.0

> is this a proper way? It works on this way but i think there should be
> a 2nd way. may i did a missconfiguration. ? i have 2 ethernet cards on
> my machine but i think this shouldnt be the case.
> thx

Well is using ifconfig the proper way to setup multiple aliases for a
single NIC?

I did a man ifconfig on our RH7.2 and saw no mention of aliasing or
the "eth0:0" format. Also, how can I setup a gateway for the alias ip
address?

 
 
 

2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

Post by David Schwart » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 02:38:45



> Well is using ifconfig the proper way to setup multiple aliases for a
> single NIC?

        Yes.

Quote:> I did a man ifconfig on our RH7.2 and saw no mention of aliasing or
> the "eth0:0" format.

        Yes, it's the proper way. However, it isn't permanent, it's just a
setting until the next reboot. If you want to make it permanent, use the
RedHat network setup tools or edit files off /etc/sysconfig

Quote:> Also, how can I setup a gateway for the alias ip
> address?

        That doesn't make any sense. Could you be more specific about what you
are trying to do?

        DS

 
 
 

2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

Post by Your na » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:00:38




> > Well is using ifconfig the proper way to setup multiple aliases for a
> > single NIC?

>    Yes.

> > I did a man ifconfig on our RH7.2 and saw no mention of aliasing or
> > the "eth0:0" format.

>    Yes, it's the proper way. However, it isn't permanent, it's just a
> setting until the next reboot. If you want to make it permanent, use the
> RedHat network setup tools or edit files off /etc/sysconfig

How do i add multiple ip addresses with the RH network setup tools? Is
one supposed to enter multiple ip addresses in the dialog box?

Quote:> > Also, how can I setup a gateway for the alias ip
> > address?

>    That doesn't make any sense. Could you be more specific about what you
> are trying to do?

>    DS

We would like to have ip addresses from different segments on one NIC,
ie: xxx.101.75.101 and yyy.104.251.045 . At present we can switch
between the 2 but would like to have both up at same time.

If it is not doable, i suppose we could try a seperate NIC.

thanks.

 
 
 

2 networkaddress on one physical address managed by the gateway with one phisical interface.

Post by David Schwart » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:47:38



> > > Also, how can I setup a gateway for the alias ip
> > > address?
> >       That doesn't make any sense. Could you be more specific about what you
> > are trying to do?
> We would like to have ip addresses from different segments on one NIC,
> ie: xxx.101.75.101 and yyy.104.251.045 . At present we can switch
> between the 2 but would like to have both up at same time.

> If it is not doable, i suppose we could try a seperate NIC.

        It is. But why would the other IP need a gateway? Gateways are used for
routing outbound packets and have nothing to do with inbound packets.

        DS