Lan with windows xp and LInux

Post by Miguel Anduja » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:47:39

Hi, I finally install Linux(Mandarake) in a old computer that I have, and I
have another one with Windows xp home eidtion, both are connect to a router
that from there go to my cable modem, they both work with internet acces,
but I want is to run my linux box as server and provide an ip address to the
windows xp machine with DHCP, even that my ip address is not static it
doesn't change that much, and I also want to have acces to the files from
one machine to antother, I want to play a little with it, running ftp
servers, file server, ect, ect, now can somebody give me some basic
instructions?
I am just beginner that is very interesting to start in the linux world,
well anticipate thanks,

Miguel Andujar

Lan with windows xp and LInux

Post by Conny Enstr? » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:15:51

Quote:> Hi, I finally install Linux(Mandarake) in a old computer that I have, and
> have another one with Windows xp home eidtion, both are connect to a
router
> that from there go to my cable modem, they both work with internet acces,
> but I want is to run my linux box as server and provide an ip address to
the
> windows xp machine with DHCP, even that my ip address is not static it
> doesn't change that much, and I also want to have acces to the files from
> one machine to antother, I want to play a little with it, running ftp
> servers, file server, ect, ect, now can somebody give me some basic
> instructions?
> I am just beginner that is very interesting to start in the linux world,
> well anticipate thanks,

> Miguel Andujar

Install:

Samba  = fileshare Linux <-> Win
ProFTPD = FTP server

Then the config can be tricky sometimes if you not use to linux, but there
are lot of info and docs on the net.

Lan with windows xp and LInux

Post by Robe » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:52:14

Hi Miguel,
For file sharing, my opinion is to run SAMBA on the linux box.  Go to
samba.org and download the latest release.  After you untar it (tar
-xzvf filename), read the install instructions on how to configure it
(most likely ./configure, make, then make install).  If you install
the latest version of samba, it comes with swat (Samba Web
Administration Tool) which will allow you to easily configure file
sharing among windows machines.  Read the directions to configure swat
if you need to.
For the DHCP server, download the latest release of the dhcpd from
www.isc.org.  DO the same as described above to install.  I dont know
which type of router you are using, but if you are using a linksys or
dlink, they are configured to use DHCP by default.  Just turn it off
if you are going to make the linux box the DHCP server.  You will also
have to assign a static IP to the linux box if you want it to act as a
DHCP server.
Hope this helps...
Rob

Post by joseph Phili » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:46:33

> Hi, I finally install Linux(Mandarake) in a old computer that I have,
> and I have another one with Windows xp home eidtion, both are connect to
> a router that from there go to my cable modem, they both work with
> internet acces, but I want is to run my linux box as server and provide
> an ip address to the windows xp machine with DHCP, even that my ip
> address is not static it doesn't change that much, and I also want to
> have acces to the files from one machine to antother, I want to play a
> little with it, running ftp servers, file server, ect, ect, now can
> somebody give me some basic instructions? I am just beginner that is
> very interesting to start in the linux world, well anticipate thanks,

> Miguel Andujar

Look under "System " settings . There should be a"Samba configuration or
"SWAT" . Start it, and if asked, give it root password. Then configure it
to match your XP home network domain.

1. Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
(WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the "Sign
in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98 Machine.
There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard pressing OK. Any
ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or kbd, or how do I get
rid of the box?

Thanks in advance

AL

--

2. Redhat3.0.3 probs unpacking archives and rpm's!!!!!!

3. Linux - Windows XP LAN

4. ping/network

5. Wired LAN - Ubuntu and Windows xp

6. alpha systems FS

7. Standalone Linux Server with Windows 98 and Windows XP clients

8. LINUX on INTERNET via SLIP

9. Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

10. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

11. Linux vs Windows XP (Only a retard would use Linux)

12. cgi output corrupted (apache 2.0.43, windows binary; running on windows xp professional)

13. Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Home Networking