Preserving old newsgroup messages from IIS server

Preserving old newsgroup messages from IIS server

Post by Liam Frie » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

we have an old news server used for internal newsgroups only. It is running
NT 4.0 server and IIS, and is a news server only, not a web server. This
machine works just fine, but it nearing the end of it's useful life.

Does anyone know how (or if) I can setup a shiny new Linux server as a
replacement for this, and preserve the posting history for all the
newsgroups, ie how can I import all the old IIS-managed messages into the
new Linux-hosted news server, including original dates and thread history
and all that junk. The Linux server would be available on our Intranet for
people to play with Linux, as well as serving the news.

Also, is there a nice dumb GUI front end for newsgroup administration on
Linux, for newsgroup access permissions, file storage locations, and all
that. SysAdmin is not my job, but I can manage quite well with NT/IIS for
news serving since it is dumb enough for me to figure out how it works.

I am a relative Linux *. I've managed to install RedHat 6.1 and .2 on a
partition on my laptop and have the NT loader boot it, and it seems to be
working fine.

Apologies if this is a FAQ, and if it is where is the relevant FAQ and I'll
go study it.

Thanks,
Liam