rtl8139 ; can I switch autosensing off?

Post by Andre Weigand » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 23:11:00

Dear NG,

does somebody knows, if its possible to switch autosensing on the rtl8139
ethernet card.
I load it as a kernel module and would like to pass to the driver settings
about bandwidth / duplex mode.

Greetings

Andre

rtl8139 ; can I switch autosensing off?

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 00:08:09

Quote:> Dear NG,

> does somebody knows, if its possible to switch autosensing on the rtl8139
> ethernet card.
> I load it as a kernel module and would like to pass to the driver settings
> about bandwidth / duplex mode.

Point you favourite search engine to mii-diag.

But...

The manually forced duplex or speed is hardly ever right. If you force a
connection to full-duplex when the conditions are not right, the connection
will be very slow dur to the massive amount of collisions generated. The
full-duplex setting switches only the collision detection off, so the
interface is able to transmit before listening first.

The gain obtained by full-duplex is slight even when everything is working
correctly. The only case when noticeable gain is obtained is when there is
massive amount of data travelling both directioins at the same time.

Tauno Voipio

rtl8139 ; can I switch autosensing off?

Post by Andre Weigand » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 02:42:07

Hi Tauno,

thank you for reply. What you describe is actually my problem :

> > Dear NG,

> > does somebody knows, if its possible to switch autosensing on the
rtl8139
> > ethernet card.
> > I load it as a kernel module and would like to pass to the driver
settings
> > about bandwidth / duplex mode.

> Point you favourite search engine to mii-diag.

> But...

> The manually forced duplex or speed is hardly ever right. If you force a
> connection to full-duplex when the conditions are not right, the
connection
> will be very slow dur to the massive amount of collisions generated. The
> full-duplex setting switches only the collision detection off, so the
> interface is able to transmit before listening first.

Sometimes the networking adapter sets itself to 100 Mbit / full duplex and
the
network connection is very slow then. Thats why  I want to controll the
duplex mode
to set it manually to half-duplex.

> The gain obtained by full-duplex is slight even when everything is working
> correctly. The only case when noticeable gain is obtained is when there is
> massive amount of data travelling both directioins at the same time.

> Tauno Voipio

Andre

rtl8139 ; can I switch autosensing off?

Post by Frank Becke » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 18:30:13

Hi,

Quote:>> does somebody knows, if its possible to switch autosensing on the rtl8139
>> ethernet card.
>> I load it as a kernel module and would like to pass to the driver settings
>> about bandwidth / duplex mode.

> Point you favourite search engine to mii-diag.

s/mii-diag/rtl8139-diag/

Check
        dmesg
for what your card is doing.

Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/8139too.txt

Bye,

Frank

--

GnuPG: 0xADC29ECD | F01B 5E9C 1D09 981B 5B40 50D3 C80F 7459 ADC2 9ECD
If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. P. Zimmermann

Post by j sendle » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:37:14

> Sometimes the networking adapter sets itself to 100 Mbit / full duplex and

Whow, a NIC with a life of its own...! - Can it make breakfast? I'll buy it!

Quote:> the
> network connection is very slow then. Thats why  I want to controll the
> duplex mode
> to set it manually to half-duplex.

There was another thread about this last week; I didn't follow it
closely, but perhaps You can get some ideas from there (IIRC, it was
even the same RTL based card...).

Cheers, Jack.

1. Switching Off An Ethernet Client With A Hardware Switch

Hi,
    I would like to know if it is possible to put simple hardware
switch in an ethernet cable, for example 10 Base T twisted pair,
so as to completely disconnect a computer from the local network.
If this could work reliably, it would be a secure way to prevent
unauthorized hacking of a system.
                                                        Mike

2. ide raid

3. wol rtl8139 or just APM power off problem?

4. ESS-1868 based soundcard

5. wol rtl8139 or APM power off problem?

6. : FreeBSD rescue CD with UFS2 support

7. Linux's screen paging, how can I switch it off?

8. sendmail receive problem

9. Printing to switched off printer

10. no queue when printer switched off

11. Can DAT drives switch compression on and off?

12. switching off ping and icmp

13. lpd - can it know if the printer is switched off?