long pause bringing up eth0

Post by drobso » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:44:14

Hello helpful community!

I want to know if there is some way to speed up the boot up process of
my
RedHat 7.1 system.  Every time it gets to the line which says it's
bringing up
eth0, it waits there for at least one minute before it says, "OK" and
moves on.
When I did a "dmesg", I got the following:

Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.14 (February 20, 2001)
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0f.0
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:0d.0
eth0: Digital DC21041 Tulip rev 17 at 0xe000, 21041 mode,
00:00:C0:41:F7:E4, IRQ 11.
eth0: 21041 Media table, default media 0001 (10base2).
eth0:  21041 media #0, 10baseT.
eth0:  21041 media #4, 10baseT-FD.
eth0:  21041 media #1, 10base2.

The ethernet card is an SMC EtherPower 8432BT card which has both
10base2 and
10baseT connectors.  Does the problem have something to do with the fact
that it is
trying to determine which interface is being used?  I notice from the
printout above
that it says that the 10base2 is the default media choice.  I know I'd
like to change that.
I am connected to the 10baseT port.
Is there a way to eliminate the other media interfaces, so it just tries
the 10baseT?

Doug Robson

long pause bringing up eth0

Post by Simon Gree » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:03:37

In the kernel documentation for the Tulip driver you will find a link to
the Donald Becker's Tulip page. On this page you will find the 'options'
parameter than can be passed to the module to force it to a particular
media type.

Simon