Q: router vs. router

Post by Rachael Ros » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hi everybody,
>I have a non-linux problem concerning routers. How do you native English
>speaking net experts pronounce `router'? I alway pronounced it
>`rooter'. But now I hear lots of non-English people pronounce that `ou'
>like in `trout'. What is right?

English (United Kingdom version) rhymes with root

American (International version) rhymes with trout

Rachael Rosen
Sig minimalist.

1. Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

Hi,

I have a cable modem connection with a single semi dynamic
public IP address.  Currently, I have installed a Linksys router
(BEFSR41) between the cable modem and my intranet LAN to share
my Linux machine as well as several windows machines.  I am
thinking to replace this Linksys Router with a home made Win2K
server or Linux running on either a winchip 200MHz or an AMD
K6-2 400MHz CPU (prefer to use a winchip 200MHz CPU from IOpener
and put the 400MHz CPU to the IOpener).  Frankly speaking, I am
opted to use Linux over Win2K as a router.  However, being
limited to only a single public IP address, I am force to
thinking of using Win2K instead of Linux as my router mainly
because I can attach several USB devices, i.e. VoIPBlaster,
ActionTec VoIP devices, etc.  to the router to use them.  As
with Linux, the VoIPBlaster driver found on the SourceForge
site, (http://sourceforge.net/projects/voip-blaster), is still
to early to use.

I am very confused to face this dilemma and am hoping you all
will be able to help me out.  TIA.

2. linux hyperbase protocol HTPP 1.1

3. linux router Vs Linksys Router

4. Mach64 RageII+DVD XFREE problem

5. Linux router vs Netopia router on DSL

6. Install Solaris on Intel

7. 6to4 router vs 6to4 relay router

8. "BDF"-Font-File Format

9. DSL/Cable Router vs "Ordinary Router"

10. traceroute (linux) vs. tracert (XP) vs. Linksys router

11. hub vs switch vs router?

12. SnapGear firewall, ADSL router and backup ISDN router

13. 1 Router or config hosts as routers