network priveliges

Post by Ian » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 06:20:08

I am trying to save a web page that I create on my windows 2000 machine, in
dreamweaver, into a folder /home/httpd/html on Linux Mandrake 7.0. that is
shared in samba with these settings:-

[httpd]
comment = web files
path = /home/httpd/html
valid users = ian ten root
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
create mode = 0666

I get a dialog box that says 'Cannot access this file. Check security
priveliges over network drive'.

I wonder how to get around this, is it Linux, windows or samba problem?

Anyone help please.

Ian.

network priveliges

Post by Karl Heye » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 06:57:05

> I am trying to save a web page that I create on my windows 2000 machine, in
> dreamweaver, into a folder /home/httpd/html on Linux Mandrake 7.0. that is
> shared in samba with these settings:-

> [httpd]
> comment = web files
> path = /home/httpd/html
> valid users = ian ten root
> public = yes
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> create mode = 0666

> I get a dialog box that says 'Cannot access this file. Check security
> priveliges over network drive'.

samba debug might be more informative, but check the actual permissions
and ownership of the directory and file.

karl.

network priveliges

Post by James McMillan II DBA » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:26:45

Your problem is Samba,  So you should join linux.samba.  Probally something
to do with encrypted passwords.

Quote:> I am trying to save a web page that I create on my windows 2000 machine,
in
> dreamweaver, into a folder /home/httpd/html on Linux Mandrake 7.0. that is
> shared in samba with these settings:-

> [httpd]
> comment = web files
> path = /home/httpd/html
> valid users = ian ten root
> public = yes
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> create mode = 0666

> I get a dialog box that says 'Cannot access this file. Check security
> priveliges over network drive'.

> I wonder how to get around this, is it Linux, windows or samba problem?

> Anyone help please.

> Ian.

network priveliges

Post by Tarald Hol » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:51:41

Quote:> public = yes
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> create mode = 0666

> I get a dialog box that says 'Cannot access this file. Check security
> priveliges over network drive'.

> I wonder how to get around this, is it Linux, windows or samba problem?

It depends on your global settings in samba.
Check the 'Security=' variable.

Depending on your choice, the problem could be related to the actual file
system priveliges set on the directory.
See the man for samba for info on the values for security (user, share,
server)
--
Tarald - The Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

network priveliges

Post by walt » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 01:48:12

<snip>

Quote:> I get a dialog box that says 'Cannot access this file. Check security
> priveliges over network drive'.

I recommend using SWAT to configure your Samba shares, you will also
need to setup a user account & password for the clients

Quote:> I wonder how to get around this, is it Linux, windows or samba problem?

this is probably a samba problem, you will need to enable password
encryption (in Samba)if you are accessing the samba box from a wintel
box

Good Luck,
Walter

1. PPP for non-priveliged user

Hello,

I recently upgraded from a plain RH 5.0 system to an equally plain RH
6.0 system. On the old RH 5.0 system I eventually got PPP working, and
so I thought I would copy these settings / scripts over to the new
system.

This has worked quite good, but the problem is that only root can
invoke the Connection, wheras on the old setup all useres could start
the ppp - connection. When a non-priveliged user tries to start a ppp
connection on the new system it stops with the message :

  Permission denied: Failed to open /dev/ttyS1     (<- not verbatim)

Where /dev/ttyS1 is my modem connection. The connection is innitiated
from the script /etc/ppp/ppp-on. To try and give all users ability to
open a ppp connection I have:

 o chmod a+r /dev/ttyS1
 o chmod u+s /sbin/pppd & chmod u+s /usr/bin/chat
 o chmod u+s /etc/ppp/ppp-on
 o Written a miniature C - program to call "/etc/ppp/ppp-on":

     #include <stdlib.h>
     int main () {
        system("/etc/ppp/ppp-on");
     }

   And set this program to suid root.

   However - this program was written, and _compiled_ on a RH 5.0
   system. I chose not install C-development packages on the new
   system, and suddenly I found myself without a C-compiler. (OK - that
   was a bit naive.)

(I might have got the path to pppd and chat incorrectly here, I'm not
at the box in question right now.)

But - nothing seems to work. Does anyone a have any further
suggestions on how to get ppp to work for non-priveliged users? Or
maybe people generally do a "su" before they start ppp?  If that
matters - my ppp connection is plain vanilla without either chap or
pap authentication.

Finally, what is people's experience with Netscape 4.51, previously I
had Netscape 4.03/4 - and it generally worked nicely. However the 4.51
has a mean time between failure in the miniute-range - I have a vauge
suspicion java is lethal ??

Joakim

--
=== Joakim Hove    www.phys.ntnu.no/~hove/     ======================
# Institutt for fysikk  (735) 93637 / 352 GF  |  Sk?yensgate 10D    #

2. samba & timezone

3. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

4. PCMCIA CD-ROM Linux Installation (Panasonic KXL-D740)

5. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

6. printing names with blackslash

7. Share USB printer over network Mac/Linux network?

8. 3c905-TX

9. Network statistic Network statistic

10. Iproute2 problem across networks using NAT and 2 internal networks

11. Networking 101 Part 2: Revenge Of Networking

12. Network sockets... without network!

13. network boot disk/root fs for networking