Linux routing problems

Post by Drew Linsala » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Ok all, here's the problem that is driving me nuts!

We have a customer who is using a Linux box as his router/gateway to our
network.  There are two ethernet interfaces in his box, one on our
ethernet, and one on his.

We have assigned him an entire class C network, and our primary router
knows that 204.254.177.0/24 gets routed through 204.89.131.35 (his eth
interface on our side of the network). Everything works fine with two
exceptions.

1. He has to run a cron job every 15 minutes to add the default gateway to
his routing tables.  Something on his LINUX box is deleting it, which
takes his net off line.  Also, his routing tables get filled with static
routes that look like they were obtained from one of our terminal servers
via RIP.  We have NO routers sending RIP announcements, so I have no idea
what is messing up his routing entries like that.

2. When dialing into our network via our terminal server, we are unable to
telnet to his LINUX box.  We can telnet to a remote host, then telnet from
there to the LINUX box, but somewhere between our dial-in class C
addresses (198.4.60), our internal net (204.89.131) and his internal net
(204.254.177) something is screwy.

I've exhausted my options here.  All our routing tables are good, and
stable, and I'm left thinking that something pertaining to the routing on
his LINUX box is the culprit.

Does anyone have any ideas as they pertain to routed under LINUX?

Thanks in advance...

Drew Linsalata
AECNET

Linux routing problems

Post by Todd Graham Lewi » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

The RIP statements are coming from one of your boxes on your
directly-connected ethernet.  You have to set routed to run in silent
mode, or else they will yell that *from the rooftops.  Run tcpdump to
find out which machine is doing it.

You have to reset your routing PC every 15 minutes because that is the
period in which routed drops dynamic routes.  You need to edit your
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 file to reflect your setup and enter the simple, basic
routes into your routing table.  If you need help, let me know.

Not much sleep.

Sorry if no help.

Mail if problems.

Copyright 1995, Todd Lewis.This message may not be used or distributed by
the Microsoft Corporation except upon payment of royalties in the sum of
$500 to the copyright owner.Usage constitutes an agreement to these terms.

> Ok all, here's the problem that is driving me nuts!

> We have a customer who is using a Linux box as his router/gateway to our
> network.  There are two ethernet interfaces in his box, one on our
> ethernet, and one on his.

> We have assigned him an entire class C network, and our primary router
> knows that 204.254.177.0/24 gets routed through 204.89.131.35 (his eth
> interface on our side of the network). Everything works fine with two
> exceptions.

> 1. He has to run a cron job every 15 minutes to add the default gateway to
> his routing tables.  Something on his LINUX box is deleting it, which
> takes his net off line.  Also, his routing tables get filled with static
> routes that look like they were obtained from one of our terminal servers
> via RIP.  We have NO routers sending RIP announcements, so I have no idea
> what is messing up his routing entries like that.

> 2. When dialing into our network via our terminal server, we are unable to
> telnet to his LINUX box.  We can telnet to a remote host, then telnet from
> there to the LINUX box, but somewhere between our dial-in class C
> addresses (198.4.60), our internal net (204.89.131) and his internal net
> (204.254.177) something is screwy.

> I've exhausted my options here.  All our routing tables are good, and
> stable, and I'm left thinking that something pertaining to the routing on
> his LINUX box is the culprit.

> Does anyone have any ideas as they pertain to routed under LINUX?

> Thanks in advance...

> Drew Linsalata
> AECNET

1. Linux routing problem

Here is my problem.

I am attempting to setup my linux system as a firewall, with proxy
server support.

I can connect to my isp using the chat program.  However, ip routing
has not been disabled.

I am using slakware 3.0.  I have an ethernet net that I am using an
illegal address.  Do I need to do a make config?  If so what do I make
config on?

I have read the linux net2/net-3 howto, and not found my answers.

Should this not be possible with a route del command?

lmf

2. XDMCP

3. Linux Routing Problem Between TR0 and ETH0

4. chmod on home directory

5. Linux routing problem?

6. Configuring Samba with linuxconf question

7. Need help, please -> LINUX Routing Problems ????

8. YOUR MESSAGES WILL BE CENSORED Unless you TELL THE FCC to STOP CENSORSHIP & SPEED CAPPING! Direct Link to FCC HERE! 8839

9. Linux routing problem

10. linux routing problem

11. Linux routing problem

12. Linux routing problems